BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Editing in Elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Archicad, can you move windows and elements in the elevation view and have them update in plan? This would be good for design.

Can the elevation views be shaded as you work?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes and partly no.

Yes, when you change locations of elements in the elevation views, they do update on the floor plan.
No, elevation views can no be shaded (that I know of), but they can show the vectorial hatching (checkbox in the section tool under "Model Effects" for "vectorial 3d Hatching").
You can also copy (within the same wall) and stretch doors and windows in an S/E window. Very, very useful. Only the opening elements have this ability.

There are numerous editing limitations in the S/E window (no roof trimming, no SEOs), but editing in S/E is still IMHO indispensable, even with the abilities of the 3D window. Unlike the 3D window, every contour of every element is detectable, so it possible to align anything to anything in the Z direction.

I keep a few dozen non-drawing-generating sections in my projects just for inspecting and maintaining the model.

Another S/E trick: Work around the lack of a 'Reveal in Plan' command. Select an element in S/E and delete it. Undo the delete. Return to the plan window and the element will be selected. (Note: The element must be visible on the current story.)
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys! I have been trying to do an equal comparison between Revit and Archicad. Having a live shaded view of elevations and sections is one advantage in Revit.

One of the biggest limitations in Revit is creating complex residential roofs where you have crickets and such. How do you find Archicad for doing such roofs?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the biggest limitations in Revit is creating complex residential roofs where you have crickets and such. How do you find Archicad for doing such roofs?
Roof creating is an area that I find Archicad really excels in. I have used it to create complex roofs quickly. It is a big help during design to be able to visualize a roof quickly and make changes on the fly. I use it create the crickets, overframing areas, etc. ArchiCad also has a feature that allows for roof framing generation. I have used it successfully to clearly show to a contractor in 3-d how the roof is to go together (answers a lot of questions). Once you get used to it the roof tool is quite powerful especially for Residential. For my commercial projects it not such an issue. In Revit I have not found the roof tool function to be as intuitive.
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
There are numerous editing limitations in the S/E window (no roof trimming, no SEOs)...

What? No SEOs in S/E window? That's strange - it's been working for me. Of course you have to do a rebuild after the operation, but it works, at least in my experience... As for the roof trimming, I've kinda done away with that and use SEOs instead.
Archimac wrote:
...Having a live shaded view of elevations and sections is one advantage in Revit.

You can get this and more... kinda, if you work in the 3d window (instead of the S/E window). One of the main "problems" with the 3d window vs. the S/E window is that in the 3d window you can't do 2d elements. Maybe a combination of the two would do the trick.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess this can count as me correcting my earlier information.
There is the 3d cutting planes, which does give you a shaded model view of a section cut and also the ability of the marquee tool to get cut views of the model.

These options both work for some editing purposes, but are both unfortunately limited in the tools available and that you can not use multiple views of each (which I believe is on the wish list).
James, wrote:
no SEOs)...

Sergio, wrote:
That's strange - it's been working for me. Of course you have to do a rebuild after the operation,

I thought it should work, but I wasn't surprised when it "didn't", considering other S/E limitations... I would have expected some feedback (at least a sound), then a rebuild to get it cleaned up... like when you move a window. AC, just tell us what's going on!

Feeling better now that I've had my morning clue,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Learn and get certified!