BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Arc/Beam

Tom Krowka
Booster
Two part question.

How can I put a hole in a beam? Is it possible?

Also, I draw an arc in a S/E. Where in the heck can I find out what the radius is?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
8 REPLIES 8
Tom wrote:
How can I put a hole in a beam? Is it possible?
There is a button on the beam's pet palette for placing a hole. Beam selected, non-arrow tool active, click on the ref line of the beam. It brings up a dialog where you can put in the size, shape, and position.
Also, I draw an arc in a S/E. Where in the heck can I find out what the radius is?
Radial dimension tool is not working for you? And you can place the origin at the center, rest on the arc, and read the 'r' box. If you are trying to get the radius of an arc'd element in elevation, such as an arch, it won't work, since the curve is made of segments. You'll have to draw an an arc over the curve and take the radius of that.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Tom Krowka
Booster
Radial dim. does indeed work. I was looking for a place where I could see the radius and change it all at the same time. I did see the dim in the "r" box, but it seemed to me to be the cursor location instead of the dim. The origin at the center appears to be the thing.

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
I was looking for a place where I could see the radius and change it all at the same time.
Clickin the arc with the arrow tool in the Mercedes shape will give you the option to change the R; the R field reads current value, and you can type n the desired value, therefore changing the R of the arc.

Make sure you get the right button in the pet palette, second from the right.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Tom Krowka
Booster
Got the hole command working. What I'm now trying to do with it is create an arch in the bottom of the beam. That means the center of the hole is about 7 feet below the bottom of the beam; the hole has an eight foot diameter, which would give it an arch cut out of the bottom of the beam.
I an unable to get the hole command to do this. Is it possible, or am I doing it wrong. If not feasible, anybody have any other ideas how to accomplish this?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not tried using solid element operations on a beam, but if SEO works, that would be the way to do what you want.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Answering my own question; it is possible to cut an arc in the bottom of the beam by careful consideration of the radius and the distance from the top of the beam.

However, am unable to dim the radius of the arc in S/E using the radial dim. Any suggestions there?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
However, am unable to dim the radius of the arc in S/E using the radial dim. Any suggestions there?
You mean in the elevation where you see the beam?

You can't. Have to draft an arc on top and dimension that.

My "favourite" gripe ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Tom Krowka
Booster
That would be the one. My gripe too.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Learn and get certified!