BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Zoom incrementally, previous/next views

MSotero
Participant
I really seem to like using the arrow keys to incrementally jump the screen around. I find myself doing it quite often.

It would also be nice to use the same arrow keys to incrementally zoom in and out. This could be done by holding down a modifier key such as Option, Command, Control, Z, or whatever.

Okay, I think the "up" key zooms in and the "down" key zooms out.

Then perhaps the "left" and "right" keys could be used to give us back key board options for the previous view and next views we lost in V9.
9 REPLIES 9
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
As far as zooming goes, get a mouse with a scroll-wheel
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
I second that You should use mouse with scrool...
but there is functionality You need - try +/- keys in the numeric part of the keyboard...(of course with default shortcuts - You can assign it to the other keys)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Karl Ottenstein
MSotero wrote:
Then perhaps the "left" and "right" keys could be used to give us back key board options for the previous view and next views we lost in V9.
Previous and Next used to be ctrl-[ and ctrl-] ... but in 9, you can map those commands to whatever keystrokes (nearly) you want.

Until your reminded me, I forgot that Mac-mice don't have wheels. So, while I personally think I'd prefer to get a wheel mouse for zoom/pan as I have on XP, it does seem that there should be some keyboard method to duplicate the wheel behavior for people without wheel mice.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
MSotero
Participant
Karl wrote:
Previous and Next used to be ctrl-[ and ctrl-] ... but in 9, you can map those commands to whatever keystrokes (nearly) you want.
I actually had tried to assign a keystroke, but I just didn't see these 2 particular commands available. Are they really there?
MSotero
Participant
Piotr wrote:
You need - try +/- keys in the numeric part of the keyboard...
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Works for me
Karl Ottenstein
MSotero wrote:
Piotr wrote:
You need - try +/- keys in the numeric part of the keyboard...
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Works for me
Glad to hear that. But, this does not do the same thing as the wheel, at least on Windows.

When you scroll with the wheel on windows, the point in the plan that is under the mouse stays fixed, and all zooms around it.

When I zoom with the numeric + key, the zoom center is the exact center of the plan window, and doesn't pay attention to the mouse location...so you may end up having to pan afterwards (or pan, zoom, pan, zoom). With the wheel, you just spin, and you're still exactly where you want to be working. Very fast.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
MSotero
Participant
Karl wrote:
When you scroll with the wheel on windows, the point in the plan that is under the mouse stays fixed, and all zooms around it.

When I zoom with the numeric + key, the zoom center is the exact center of the plan window, and doesn't pay attention to the mouse location...so you may end up having to pan afterwards (or pan, zoom, pan, zoom). With the wheel, you just spin, and you're still exactly where you want to be working. Very fast.

Karl
Well, now that is good to know.
And regarding previous and next views on the keyboard...apparently they do exist by default (but I don't know if you can redefine them). I could only find them in the Work Environment clicking Keyboard Shortcuts and then Show Shortcut List In Browser at the bottom of the dialog box (Command+[ or ]).
Karl Ottenstein
MSotero wrote:
And regarding previous and next views on the keyboard...
Sorry I didn't respond on that sooner ... Those commands appear or not depending on how you set up your initial work environment before customizing it. But, you can always get at them or add them back.

See the screenshot attached. Select "All commands by theme" to get everything, regardless of if it is in the current menu scheme, and expand Display and you'll find the previous/next zoom commands.

Karl
we-zooms.gif
MSotero
Participant
Karl wrote:
...Those commands appear or not depending.....Select "All commands by theme" to get everything, regardless of if it is in the current menu scheme....
That solves a big "where is everything?" Thanks!

After using these keys today I now remember using them in the past. I must be getting old.
Works pretty well when I position my hand with thumb over the arrows and fingers over the -/+ keys.
However, is there a good Mac Wheel Mouse one should consider? The ones I've seen felt awkward and looked ugly. The Mac mouse feels and looks nice but of course no wheel option there.
Learn and get certified!