Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Exterior Elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
i would like to show the vinyl siding or brick veneer on the front of a house when i do a 2-d elevation of it. is there any way to do this?
11 REPLIES 11
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Two reasons jump to mind:
1. I might want to draft a background and not have to cut it around the model. That's what my co-worker was trying to do.
2. If the vectoral hatch allowed a background pen then I could easily colorize the drawings, which would be very useful at times.

I'm not suggesting drafted items be forced behind model elements, just that we be able to send them there, which we can already do. If a drafted element is sent to the back the lines of model elements cross over it, but since the model elements are displayed as fills with transparent backgrounds you can see any drafted elements through the hatching. Now I'll ask you Matthew, why would you want that?

I realize I can get part of the way toward both of my wishes by using a solid fill as my vectoral hatch, but then I get no hatch lines. One step forward, one step back. I'm just looking for fills here to act like they do everywhere else.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Geoff.

I was just curious, since I couldn't think of anything myself.

I think the reason that there is no background is that the 3D & elev fills aren't really fills at all, but projections of the vector patterns. It would be very nice, however, to have the option of a background color based on the material setting for colored elevations (without the copy/paste from 3D). Of course, there would also need to be a display option to make all those fills white or transparent.