BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Drawing building and wall sections

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you generate clean section views?

Unfortunately, we are not able to use ArchiCAD's sections straight from the cut section view of the 3D model. The intersections of roofs and other objects do not generate as we need them to appear (see image 01). Additionally the raw cut section views show lines and objects that we do not want shown such as the random lines generated from a wall trimmed by a roof. We have some other problems with the appearance of the views directly generated in the Section/Elevation.

We need to show the intersections of roofs cleaned up (image 02) and other objects cleaned up graphically. We have two ways of generating the cleaned up section view.

The first method is to copy, paste and move the entire section view (image 03). This method generates lines and fills representing the 3D objects. After the fills and lines are generated we delete the fills and then edit the lines to generate the 2D view of the section that we want.

The other method is to draw lines directly over the section view of the 3D model and create a layer combination that turns off the unwanted 3D items that do not render as we want to show them. This method is why I posted a wish for a ghosted section capability (see ArchiCAD Wishlist).

Either method is a lot of work as opposed to being able to use the section views just as they are cut from the model.

We would like to know how other ArchiCAD users deal with this problem. How do you create sections views with clean intersections and no extraneous lines and other items?

Thank you,
John
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
image 02
2D lines
image 02   2D lines.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
image 03
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi John

From a quick glance it looks like you could benefit from Solid Element Operations on those roofs.

Also keep in mind that for the most part (like walls) roofs with the same fills will heal in section. Same with slabs.

Looks like I may finally be hitting your shores later this year mate! Maybe I can come by?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
John,
I am looking at your images and it seems to me that the roofs
can be made to clean up with each other in the live model
either directly by selecting one and command clicking on the other
or using SEO to make clean intersections between the roof elements.

More and more as AC gets better I am using only live sections that
need very little editing (an occasional masking line).
I do take the time to build the model carefully but I believe
that the time spent on the model saves the greater amount of time
that would be spent fixing the sections.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
You are always welcomed on Maui.

"Link" wrote:
From a quick glance it looks like you could benefit from Solid Element Operations on those roofs.

I could not get the two roofs in the upper right to intersect. I probably need more training with the Solid Element Operations tool. How would you go about getting these two roofs to intersect?

Also keep in mind that for the most part (like walls) roofs with the same fills will heal in section. Same with slabs.

One would think so. Both of the blue roofs in the upper right are built using the same composite which of course has identical fills. I wonder why the two roofs with the same composite are not healing in section?
quote]

Thanks,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would go along with PD's suggestion of selecting and CTRL (command) - clicking the intersecting roof. Sometimes, however, in a complicated roof situation you need it to intersect with more than one plane, experimentation is needed to achieve the desired result. Can I also suggest the use of white solid fills with lines at edges the same colour / thickness as the objects being cut in section. Not quite a patch, but when grouped can be an effective way to mask dodgy intersections. If you're not using the model for quantity take-offs I find this more than adequate for foundations and the like, quicker than modelling additional roof/slab for perimeter slab thickening or masonry foundation walls.
Hope this helps, and you're not laughing too loud.

cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
I did work on it a little more and am able to get your solution to work...kind of. I was trying to get the two roof to join using the Addition setting in Solid Element Operation. THat didn't work.

What I have been able to get working is to create unique Operator elements (I used two walls) for each roof and then subtract a wall from each roof. It does seem to work but it feels fraught with the possibility of problems. I am going to give it a try to see if it works for this project.

Thank you for the tip.
John

PS I am pretty much missing formZ where this type of operation is fast and easy.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
I tried it some more and it seems to be working.
Thanks again,
John
Learn and get certified!