BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Success = getting new customers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I saw some documents to compare between Revit and AC.
I study Revit from own website.
It is just copy from AC!!

I used to work with AC (and very satisfied, and like many friends from AC-forum).
As AC-user I hope, AC must be better than Revit for Architects.

I have not used Revit, but just seen from Website.
The web-site from Revit is so nice, that I must believe, Revit should be better than AC.

I like to know your opinions and also opinions from GS.

Thanks
368 REPLIES 368
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
architectural profit
Oxymoron!?!?!
Dwight
Newcomer
Sorry.

I meant "theoretical architectural profit, eroded by error, indecision and errors made by stooges not yet knowing what they don't know."
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
jdk wrote:
Of course, Architecture is esthetics...
Design and style is (partly) about aesthetics. Architecture is about taking an impossibly complex set of requirements and turning them into something that more or less fulfills those requirements without falling down and killing people.
Anonymous
Not applicable
>I'm with you there.

I'm glad we are starting to go along.

>Architecture is about taking an impossibly complex set of requirements and turning them into something that more or less fulfills those requirements without falling down and killing people.

It is not by accident that I keep repeating that a useful BIM must help in managing all sorts of constraints. The business of architecture is complex. Do not let even begin mentioning all the legal and financial constraints, where the BIM may have no chance. If computing turned us into typists, it is time that we unload the burden of constraint satisfaction on those same computers, to free our own shoulders from the often unbearable weight. Is it written somewhere that one's work has to be a hell on earth? We are smart people, are'nt we?

--bob
Dwight
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:

without falling down and killing people.
Do you mean a building or an architect?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Matthew wrote:

without falling down and killing people.
Do you mean a building or an architect?
Don't jump Dwight!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ultimately BIM will converge architecture and all engineering aspects in to one hand. What has separated in the 18 century as disciplines are in the process of reintegrating. Yes it will employ only highly paid stooges. Yes you will have to learn a lot and learn to delegate a lot to artificial intelligence.
stefan
Expert
In Belgium, a typical (small) architectural office is one or two senior architects, two or three junior architects. Add a drafter or two and you start becoming a medium office. There are some larger ones (30+ staff), but they are the minority. Many offices in our Belgian context are single-person firms.

Now if this typical office was AutoCAD or VectorWorks based, they would be able to survive with basic 2D CAD and a hierarchical pyramid of fees (and responsibilities).

Let's turn this office into BIM oriented structure: you swith to Revit or ArchiCAD, requiring not only more expensive software and additional training to make the transition, but also more required engineering knowledge (for which the drafters are not trained, although they might be able to cope with it by experience). The pyramid gets wider at the bottom, responsibilities start to shift. The drafter is not able anymore to just "draw what the architect or engineer proposes", but has to build along on the actual building model.

Even in the case when overall productivity would improve (we all seem to believe it does), I can imagine many offices not making the jump to BIM at all.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

Any comments? How hard is it to bring junior people into the BIM realm?

Depends if you do it in a working office or sooner.
As a BIM (hate that word) university teacher, it is obvious that, on most occasions, the best potential architects are the ones that adapt more quickly to computer modeling. It stands to reason, because one of the major difficulty on 3D CAD is thinking 3D.
There are of course two exceptions:
-The "artistic architect" who is a creative genius (or thinks he/she is), and abhors computers. These are rare nowadays;
-and the computer wiz, who knows next to nothing of architecture, but handles the 3D software with ease. These latter usually turn out to be not so good at 3D on latter stages, as you see they know how to go trough "the motions",but never learn to be inventive in the use of the software.

The ones who just dont uderstand the concept, no matter how hard you hammer it into their brains, are also weak on concept and design.
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Krippahl wrote:
Dwight wrote:

Any comments? How hard is it to bring junior people into the BIM realm?

Depends if you do it in a working office or sooner. /..........................

The ones who just dont uderstand the concept, no matter how hard you hammer it into their brains, are also weak on concept and design.
Miguel, took time for a small tour of your site. Enjoyed my visit immensely. To add to the above with a short quote from your pages,

"............This fascinating scenario would surely change the way we do architecture. It would position today's architects far closer to the master masons role they lost centuries ago.............."

Others have said before me, but until architects/designers have a thorough understanding of how any building goes together in detail, then they will never embrace documentation done with a tool such as Archicad.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Learn and get certified!