BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

RCPs, Ceilings

Anonymous
Not applicable
This may sound goofy, but what's the best way to do an RCP in AC?

I've got an RCP layer combo set up by my instructor from last semester, so I'm sure that will help - but what's the best way to show symbols for light fixtures that one can actually see and that are somewhat standardized, rather than just the actual light objects, which I find are generally about the size of pinpoints? Should I just make a separate layer for the 2D symbols (I know there are a few built in), and then turn off the actual light sources in the layer combo?

Or is there some way to make the actual light objects just show up as symbols - and only in the RCP? I obviously don't want them disappearing in 3D views, sections, or elevations, and I like being able to see them in plan view as well, at least while I'm working on the model.

And along with this, what's the best way to get things like ceiling grids and dropped ceilings a) into the model in the first place and b) to display on the RCP? I've generally just been using the underside of the slab above for my ceilings so far (and relying on the material and the fill pattern), but this is obviously limiting, to say the least, and doesn't exactly produce usable results for an RCP that I've been able to figure out yet.

Also, for P&S, do any of you actually model things like light switches and outlets? And if so (I've not tried it yet), I suppose the next question would be if there's a way to make them show up as just symbols in an RCP as well.

Wendy
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
I would extend this to finished flooring as well. Then the structural floor system can be easily subtracted from the exterior walls (w/ SEO) to get a proper junction
Aha, so that's how to get rid of the annoying floor slab lines that show up in my elevations!
while the interior walls can be set on the subfloor without the need for SEOs. It requires more steps and demands more maintenance but yields superior results.
Yeah, it sure does require more maintenance! I find just keeping track of what I've done and what I haven't is a challenge, owing to how thin these finish slabs and walls are. They just aren't readily visible without zooming in really closely.
Here's an instance where I would like some of Revit's lock features so I could connect the finished slabs to the bounding walls.
You mean other than just locking the slabs as we already can do in AC?
In this example the finish floor and ceiling slabs would be fastened to the structural slab such that the whole assembly could be moved up or down (z axis) as a single unit while their edges could be linked to individual walls
That really would be terrific!

I'll go a step further, and propose that the whole assembly be modifiable in size and shape as a unit, so that if you change the locations of walls, you can edit the size and shape of the whole thing at once.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archi wrote:
To make RCP completly in 3D is very very dangerous and many work (enough nonsense).
Without lighting fixtures and air ducts and so on....
Why dangerous?

I think the ceiling really *has* to be made in 3D - because after all, you do see most of those elements when you're in the space. If you haven't modeled them, they won't show up in renderings, which I think defeats part of the whole point of 3D modeling.

What I find to be a pain is not having these 3D parts automatically show up as proper, standardized 2D symbols in plan for CD purposes. No one understands those miniscule little circles and other weird elements that show up otherwise, and it's double work to go back through and manually place the 2D symbols on a whole separate layer. It should be better integrated - and able to be tied to a schedule or key *with the 2D symbols* that can be easily placed on the layout.

Maybe this could be implemented the same way that you can turn off showing doors and windows and the like in RCPs in one fell swoop as indicated, without having to fundamentally modify how the objects are modeled. I forget the specific menu option to do that, but you all know what I mean, I'm sure. You don't have to create a whole new set of doors and windows that don't show up in RCP; you just tell them as a group not to, when in that layer combo.

Or maybe there could be a checkbox in the item's info box where you can turn the standard 2D symbol on and off, so you can still verify sizes and dimensions of the actual objects in plan.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
Here's an instance where I would like some of Revit's lock features so I could connect the finished slabs to the bounding walls.
Perhaps this is a job for your SUPERZONE!!!

If the floor, ceilings and wall finishes could be associated with the zone and thus fitted automatically to the enclosing walls it could be quite wonderful. The possibilities boggle the mind. Perhaps most of our relational wishes could simply become functions of the zone tool.

An intelligent zone could include the trim package, fittings and finishes, etc. I guess what it really would be is a room assembly. I can imagine a washroom type zone that can automatically place the partitions, toilets, urinals sinks etc. either according to the available space or sized to the load requirements.

The same could apply to conference rooms, classrooms, bedrooms, and so on. It would be like a live module where the whole unit can be moved around together and the internal components remain associated but freely editable.

I think I'll take a trip to the wishlist...
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Since the SuperZone is an idea that encompasses much more than RCPs I will continue the discussion over on Matthew's new topic here.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
TomWaltz
Participant
ahem.... I think you're using my object name for something entirely different.
Tom Waltz
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
You got a trademark for that thing
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
TomWaltz
Participant
No. I just don't want to confuse people who bought it or who might buy it thinking it's something completely different than it is.
Tom Waltz
Erika Epstein
Booster
Wendy wrote:

So you do use separate slabs for each ceiling from the floor slab above, if I'm understanding you correctly?

Yes
Erika wrote:
I find this works well. For fixtures you use often you could also develop a set of 3D lights whose 2D symbol is the graphic symbol you want.
That's a great idea!
I'd have to do this in the GDL script, wouldn't I?
Wendy
Yes.
You do have to think this through on your layer combinations as both the 2D symbol and the 3D object are now on the same layer using this method.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Wendy wrote:
What I find to be a pain is not having these 3D parts automatically show up as proper, standardized 2D symbols in plan for CD purposes. No one understands those miniscule little circles and other weird elements that show up otherwise, and it's double work to go back through and manually place the 2D symbols on a whole separate layer.

Or maybe there could be a checkbox in the item's info box where you can turn the standard 2D symbol on and off, so you can still verify sizes and dimensions of the actual objects in plan.

Wendy

Wendy -- Some of the standard library parts already have this option (see Chandelier 10, for example). Under "2D Symbol Type", you have the option of "Realistic Symbol" or "Electric Symbol". I've actually gone through the entire lamp library and edited all objects to include this option -- I've also set the "3D" setting to "Off", because this is the desirable default, and generating the 3D Symbol of each light the exception.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
Wendy -- Some of the standard library parts already have this option
Thanks for the reminder, Laura; I'd forgotten about this.

Wendy
Learn and get certified!