BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Time management

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wanting to streamline the time management process for projects and asking if there is something inherent in AC that will allow for tracking of time. Also was wondering what methods/software small firm owners use for time tracking on projects.
56 REPLIES 56
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
It has some annoying quirks (which may be sorted in the new version which I haven't installed yet) but it does the job with minimum fuss and bother.
some are. other longstanding quirks are still there. but it looks nicer!

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Fritz T
Booster
Hi

Thanks, it does make sense to wait, as we are on the verge of upgrading the workstations to OSX10.4.

I used Ibiz for a while, but found the iCal integration problematic, and could never work it out to work both ways. I have since come across a program called Timelog which records in its database dynamic editing of entries in iCal, so its very easy to manage your time using iCal.
I liked the iBiz-iBank integration, but actually overlooked considering that program as an option. (Maybe if I read the manual I would have noticed the network interface..)
AC 6, through 27

iMac 27' 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

500GB OS X12.7.3 Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another neat package to try is TimeLog 3 - http://shareware.mediaatelier.com/
It also links to iCal and is $20 Shareware. I haven't found any problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Matthew wrote:
It has some annoying quirks (which may be sorted in the new version which I haven't installed yet) but it does the job with minimum fuss and bother.
some are. other longstanding quirks are still there. but it looks nicer!

ben
Does it still mess up the notes field in imported iCal entries?

Philip,

I think I will take a look at TimeLog as well. The thing I like about these cheap and simple solutions is that I have so little invested that it's no big deal to switch. Of course it is important to print all the invoices to PDF as a standard practice so nothing of importance is lost.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Does it still mess up the notes field in imported iCal entries?
I used Timelog 2 for about 2 years on my Powerbook and didn't get any problems at all. I also ran Timelog 3 for a short time, again without a hitch. I haven't tried them out on the MB Pro yet but I don't expect they will perform any differently (famous last words!)

My only wish is that there were a simple way to copy all the data into MYOB without copy/paste one by one.

BTW I hope this message comes through OK - I haven't used the "quote" feature in message replies yet.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Philip wrote:
I used Timelog 2 for about 2 years on my Powerbook and didn't get any problems at all. I also ran Timelog 3 for a short time, again without a hitch. I haven't tried them out on the MB Pro yet but I don't expect they will perform any differently (famous last words!)
Timelog 3 seems pretty good so far. It lacks quite a few of the features of iBiz but also seems to lack the bugs and quirks. The reporting with HTML templates seems a bit clunky but may be wonerfully flexible once I set something up.

It does export delimited text files so you should be able to import the data to MYOB.
Fritz T
Booster
I feel I have to comment here..
The one thing that I dislike about Timelog is that it's data entry items overlap or "interfere" with iCal functions. For example, if I set up a recurring meeting in iCal with a reminder, and invite two attendees, set the status to tentative, Timelog only records the first meeting of the series, and indicates it as having been invoiced. Opening the entry in Timelog to record additional info voids most of the iCal settings. So you have to just limit your iCal entries to two items: the name, and time. I work around this by entering future appointments into a different calendar not subscribed to by Timelog.

But overall I believe its a well-conceived, easily understandable and userfriendly program that easily integrates into my workflow. It's very simple to turn on and off and designate time to a specific project. For someone as inherently process- and organisationally challenged as myself, it was a worthwhile investment.
AC 6, through 27

iMac 27' 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

500GB OS X12.7.3 Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fritz wrote:
The one thing that I dislike about Timelog is that it's data entry items overlap or "interfere" with iCal functions...
Thanks for the warning. I generally don't expect full functionality from something like this. In iBiz I have made a point of using only special calenders for tracking time and keep a separate one for appointments. iBiz also has an annoying habit of putting To Do items in as billable and then refusing to ever forget them no matter how hard I try to delete them - very stupid in my opinion.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
... then refusing to ever forget them no matter how hard I try to delete them - very stupid in my opinion.
If you want logic, don't trust a computer program!
David Bearss
Booster
Posting another option here for Time tracking. Working time tracker is available as a shareware version and has an upgrade option for a whopping $25 to allow for generating reports. The great feature is that when you start working either after starting up or after being away a window pops up and askes you what to start tracking time on. Never lets you forget the track your time.
http://www.allnetic.com/
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Learn and get certified!