Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

gANGING WINDOWS

Tom Krowka
Booster
Can someone enlighten me on the right way to gang windows? I've poked and prayed for some time now, can't seem to get the trim to look correct in 2D. I don't understand what happens when you select ganging? Does it extend trim past the window? Should the adjacent window not be ganged? I don't get it.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
18 REPLIES 18
Stress Co_
Advisor
Tom:
I've never had much success with exterior trims when ganging AC10 windows.

I either place the windows and model the exterior trim or use Cadimage's DoorWindow Builder.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Tom Krowka
Booster
That's a shame. It's a good idea....I wonder if AC tests this stuff before it goes out. I thought maybe there is a white paper or other information on the GS website, but I can't seem to find anything anywhere.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that the lack of a robust window and door tool for AC is an area that needs some attention. The standard libraries don't provide you any way to gang multiple units together cleanly. When a factory mulled unit (of certain configurations) is required, it prevents us from using the IS listing for that unit. It would be counted as two seperate units and not one unit as it should. I hope they address soon.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Ganging is a great feature. It's used when you have a row of windows or a window next to a glass door, basically what this feature does is to take away the 2D lines of the window/door opening.
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Stress Co_
Advisor
Plan view no problem.... I couldn't get exterior trim to clean up in my (live) elevations.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Tom Krowka
Booster
My problem too.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Hi Guys,
May be you should get some one to check up your windows. I'm not having any problems with it at all.
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
does that pic show brick molding exterior trim? Do the trim intersections clean up?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ben wrote:
Ganging is a great feature. It's used when you have a row of windows or a window next to a glass door, basically what this feature does is to take away the 2D lines of the window/door opening.
Actually if this was the only advantage, I'd wonder why ganging was introduced in the first place - the removal of those lines was automatic in previous versions. The windows should of course be scripted to take full advantage of the ganging feature when generating 2D and 3D views. It's a great feature when you construct glazing by combining individual pane modules (I mean simple window objects), since the outer frames blend realistically into each other (if scripted right). I find this is often much easier to get right than to use the storfront or complex glazing objects.

Be aware when listing, calculating and making schedules though!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1