BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Moving Items Precisely

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a new Archicad user and am having trouble moving elements so that they are positioned precisely where I want them to be.

For example, I would like to move a wall so that a room dimension is exactly 13 feet long. But I just can't get the wall exactly on target - the best I can do is to put the wall 1/16 to 1/8 inch near the target.

With Sketchup, you can put a contstruction line, then move an element so that it snaps to the contstruciton line. Very simple. Is there something like this in Archicad??

I am using Archicad V10.
7 REPLIES 7
TomWaltz
Participant
What's the process you are using now?
Tom Waltz
Jere
Expert
Have you done the Step-by-Step tutorial? I believe it covers a number of techniques.

You can use guidelines to help you or simply use direct entry of values. Type 'r' to enter relative distance (16') and 'a' to enter the angle or hold the shift key to constrain the angle to orthogonal or relative orthogonal modes.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies. I did the Step by Step tutorial awhile ago - I'll review it again in more detail.
There are a couple of things you might try to see which you like best. Let's say you've got a wall (running vertically on the screen) at 15'-113/4" but want exactly 16'. You can drag the wall using the cursor on the interior wall edge, over to the wall you want to dimension FROM, and type "X16+" (without quotation marks, of course) and then hit Enter to place.

Or, you can position the wall as before, but while the wall to be moved is highlighted, use ALT-Shift to move the User Origin under the cursor (to the wall edge you're dimensioning FROM), then start to move in the direction you want (with guide lines on) and just type 16 plus Enter. I think the Tracker has to be on to get this to work.

I'd love to see GS incorporate a better system for doing what you describe, or maybe I just haven't found it yet, but these work.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Note for IMperial User's -
If you use the "x", "y" or "r" input method and are moving in the Negative direction (Quadrant), the you must "hit" the "-" sign twice.

Example:
Moving to the left (assuming Orthogonal Grid) in the X-direction 16-feet would be

x16--
TomWaltz
Participant
Jay wrote:
Note for IMperial User's -
If you use the "x", "y" or "r" input method and are moving in the Negative direction (Quadrant), the you must "hit" the "-" sign twice.

Example:
Moving to the left (assuming Orthogonal Grid) in the X-direction 16-feet would be

x16--
why not do X -16 + ?

Personally, I tend to move the user origin in those situations (option-shift). I find it less confusing.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
why not do X -16 + ?
Less Finger Travel time, I guess. Rather just bite the bullet and go Metric.
TomWaltz wrote:
Personally, I tend to move the user origin in those situations (option-shift). I find it less confusing.
You are not an Engineer, my only advantage I guess.....
Learn and get certified!