Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Do the Mark-Up Tools work?

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The tools within the Mark-Up palette remain grayed-out regardless of active tool or selection -- is it broken?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
16 REPLIES 16
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Link wrote:
I think it is an underutlized and subsequently undersupported tool...
Well, it certainly doesn't help that the AC Help Menu doesn't help -- it seems to be full of typos/information from past releases (that has since changed).

Examples:
Mark-Up Entries are view-specific.
Shouldn't this read "Viewpoint-specific"? For example, it seems that I can have the same Mark-Ups in multiple floor plan Views, just not multiple Stories.

In Teamwork, when signed into Mark-Up mode,
you cannot create, edit or delete any elements, only mark them or add corrections.
By "mark them" does it mean "Highlight". By "add corrections" does it mean add comments via the "Start/Stop Corrections" toggle (as opposed to the "Turn into Corrections" option)???
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Sure seems like this has to be a bug.

Comments? I'll submit a bug report, unless someone else believes this is proper behavior or has already sent in the report.

Karl
Good catch - I hadn't thought of trying the steps you described, but I just did and got the same result. At least there is a work-around but sure looks like a bug. Can't imagine how it would be proper behavior
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's useless until will be interconnected with view sets. It's good in design process but why can be used in presentation / printing process together with viewset?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Catalin wrote:
It's useless until will be interconnected with view sets. It's good in design process but why can be used in presentation / printing process together with viewset?
It seems like this is no longer an issue, as it is now part of the model view option combinations?

I'm reviewing this tool yet again, to use as part of our regular project reviews. Does anyone know why the first Mark-Up Style (by default called 'Multiple Mark-Up Conflict', in the AUS template at least) is not available as a style when creating a new mark-up entry?

Is it used elsewhere? It can't be deleted, so I guess it must be hard-coded and used internally?

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
According to the Help file:

User Interface Reference > Dialog Boxes > Mark-Up Styles Dialog Box

Multiple Mark-Up Conflict: automatic style which cannot be manually selected for Mark-Up Entries. It is used by ArchiCAD to indicate that more than one Mark-Up Entry was used to highlight the elements that appear with this color. This style cannot be deleted.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thanks Laszlo!

Not sure how I missed it, but it makes sense, even though I which there were no hard-coded attributes in ArchiCAD. If you call Mark-up styles attributes, of course!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problen in archicad 14, doors and windows don't become part of the mark-up. Solution??? please
Karl wrote:
Chris wrote:
1. Biggest problem - doors and windows don't become part of the mark-up. When I try to place them, I get an error sound and the door/window is placed in the plan, but not as part of the mark-up. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, but what??
This looks like a bug to me. I'll report if nobody else has already?

Here's what I did to replicate what you observed:
- drew two walls in plan
- with mark-up tools active, created a new mark-up group, selected one wall, and added it to the group
- with door tool, placed a door in each wall
- turned mark-up group visibility off - mark-up wall is gone, but the door is left orphaned on the plan (!). This has to be a bug, as AC has no method for doors/windows to ever be displayed as orphans.
- created another mark-up entry and added the other wall to that group. Turned off visibility for that mark-up entry and the wall AND door became invisible (correct)

So, the workaround seems to be to use the Mark-Up Tools dialog to temporarily make the wall NOT part of a mark-up entry/group, place the door, and then select the wall and add it back to the group.

Sure seems like this has to be a bug.

Comments? I'll submit a bug report, unless someone else believes this is proper behavior or has already sent in the report.

Karl