Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Network invisible to Library Manager in ArchiCAD 10 & 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have recently upgraded the Mac we use as a file server and everything is working swimmingly EXCEPT- In the library manager window, the Server HD drive appears, but the library manager can't/won't navigate deeper into individual folders.

Consequently all our shared libraries and project libraries are "invisible" unless copied to the local machine.

All the file loading/hotlink/xref etc dialogs work normally - eg you can navigate to a server folder to open a .pln file in the "Open file" window, but can't get to the same place in the "library manager".

On starting, ArchiCAD 10 seems to take a long long time to boot- I think it is looking for a network location that doesn't exist to load a library.

I suspect either a path or a setting in ArchiCAD 10 has been affected by the server upgrade. But how to reset it?

AC9 seems unaffected, but AC11 has the same difficulty. Doing a Repair install of ArchiCAD10 didn't work either, but I don't want to do a complete reinstall on all the machines just yet.

Help! Any ideas would be appreciated.

PS: The "Server" is a G4 running OSX 10.3.5, the workstations are various G5's running from OSX 10.4.6 to 10.4.0.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
At first glance it looks like it might be a permissions issue on the server.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a similar issue... We are running a USB HD on an Airport Extreme as a file server. It seems to work fine except that library manager can see it but cannot access it.... The permissions are handled by the airport extreme and shouldn't be an issue, but I suppose that could still be it....

Our work around is to create a folder on the local machine with aliases to the libraries on the file server... This works fine as long as you put one real folder(empty is fine) inside of the local folder.... Not sure why but library manager can't access the folder with alias' only, it appears to think it is empty......

Would love some anyone else's input on this....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Steve,

Your workaround doesn't seem to work for us.

Repairing permissions all over the network hs had no effect either, so I'm off to talk to our network consultant this morning. I'll post any results here later.

Weirdly, our server now has two HDDs- the old one (original and now blank) is visible, but the new one is not?!?!

Doin' my 'ed in. I feel like I'm back in a Windows environment...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, we've solved our problem.

After repairing permissions all over town to no avail, doing repairs and re-installs to ArchiCAD, we finally upgraded our server software from OSX 10.3.6 to OSX 10.4.6.

All the machines in the office are now running a version of Tiger. There is no particular reason as to why, but everything seems to be working fine. This seems to suggest a subtle ArchiCAD 10 & 11 / OSX 10.3.? incompatibility.

Hope this helps someone else.

Back to some real work...