Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Tip - heap zone errors

Anonymous
Not applicable
On new windows computers with enough RAM and no other reasons for a memory shortage, you may get a message:

"Cannot save plan file, not enough room in heap zone."

Rather than spending hours trying to resolve and losing information, because of inability to save, see if you have Nero software for your CD/DVD drive which is trying to index your ArchiCAD PLN as you work.

Disable Nero Indexing. You'll see it in Task manager as:

NMIndexStorageSvr.exe

This uses more memory than ArchiCAD itself, and prevents even medium sized projects from being saved even with no other applications or windows open.

Here's information for removing the Nero search:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=488539&st=0&p=587807940&#entry587807940
9 REPLIES 9
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
related ArchiCADWiki article:
http://archicadwiki.com/Heap_Zone
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
... and the sad news is, it didn't work

Later that evening I got the same error when I had no other apps at all running. This computer has 4GB, and the old one had 2GB, and I never used to have the problem.

I read the Wiki article a week ago when it first happened (when I got the new computer). None of it has helped. There must be a conflict though I don't know what.

Got our computer tech support people (who don't really know about ArchiCAD) to remove any 'gimmicky' software from this computer that I don't absolutely need. I hope it has been resolved now, but only time will tell...
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Kim,

I realize you are on 10. We have made improvements in 11 that reduce the possibility of Heap Zone error (it's all about memory handling). If you have the possibility, try 11 just to see if it helps.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
Kim,

I realize you are on 10. We have made improvements in 11 that reduce the possibility of Heap Zone error (it's all about memory handling).......Greg
I have not seen the "need" to upgrade until reading this. I have many memory problems when viewing a Internal Engine 3D view of a Mesh surface with a Fill pattern. Did any of you have this memory problem before and now with AC11 it is fixed?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay Greg - great!

That gives me the reason I need to move the first project in our office over to 11. As I'm the only one working on it so far, now would be a very good time.

What glitches can I expect in 11 Anyone?

Jay - I don't just feel your pain, I feel mine too!!! So I really can empathise!

K
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
What glitches can I expect in 11 Anyone?
Oh dear, dear...
Kim,
there is always something and as you know the empathy will not help you when you see through the red mist after discovering some nice 'feature'...
however I think that AC 11 is overly well behaved so far.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Rob for the reply.

Well, I'm going to try the move, though I have read elsewhere on the Talk that one cannot delete columns brought in from 10, so I may transfer a columnless model over and then put the columns in afresh. Or, should the time come to delete, I may simply put them on a hidden layer with another priority.

K
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can try to close all your section and elevation windows that might be open in the background as well as the 3d window and you might be able then to save. Look under the WINDOW menu. Select and CTRL - W.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Daniel.

That was in August, and it seems I haven't had any further problems with it. I just re-read the whole thread. We're not moving any projects into 11 till the directors decide we should, even though we actually had the upgrade since it has been released.

I had about 2 months of computer troubles with the 'assembled' computer. They finally seem resolved with the IT guys coming in at least twice a week and fiddling with various software and hardware components. I think the biggest problem was the nVidia Geforce 8800. But only because I haven't had any more trouble since they replaced it with a lower number one - not at the office at the moment so can't remember offhand which one I now have.