Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Deconstruct library parts

KeesW
Advocate
Is this for the wish list?

I've created a desk with complicated drawers and some divisions out of slabs and walls. I converted it into a library object and used it on the floor plan. Now, I want to alter it.

Can we explode it, or deconstruct it, to convert the object back into its elements - eg walls, slabs, etc?

I usually save the objects that I design before converting them into library objects - but in this case, I didn't.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
It would be really nice... but I'm afraid that's one for the wishlist.
Tom Waltz
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
just a little bit more on that as I have seen this type of question on this forum few times before...
the actual tools (eg walls,slabs,beams,roofs etc) do not have an exact representation in GDL language so eg a slab could be actually coded by various types of PRISM command in GDL etc. Therefore it is impossible to do a assemble-disassemble action.
In other words the tools are just an interface to various GDL commands for each tool... if it makes a sense.
::rk
Djordje
Ace
TomWaltz wrote:
... something on the line of SketchUp component editing in place?

Let's wish ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
TomWaltz
Participant
Djordje wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
... something on the line of SketchUp component editing in place?

Let's wish ...
That would be nice!
Tom Waltz
KeesW wrote:
I've created a desk with complicated drawers […] Now, I want to alter it.

That is the reason why it often makes a lot of sense to use modules for custom pieces of furniture and equipment --you open the module, edit and save with the same name or a new name, and that's it. That and the fact that because you can use layers you have a lot more control over how the thing looks and performs in different views. You can put annotations to show in some equipment plan, do a fancy 2d plan view and keep the model in a 3D-view-only layer, you can even have the roof vent moving around in the roof plan following your equipment or whatever. With the basic shapes and grills and special operations and profiles you can do a lot, and the module can include some slabby object for some handle or whatever too.

I know it is too late for this one but it will save a lot of time and look great the next time.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Ignacio wrote:
That is the reason why it often makes a lot of sense to use modules for custom pieces of furniture and equipment --you open the module, edit and save with the same name or a new name, and that's it. That and the fact that because you can use layers you have a lot more control over how the thing looks and performs in different views. You can put annotations to show in some equipment plan, do a fancy 2d plan view and keep the model in a 3D-view-only layer, you can even have the roof vent moving around in the roof plan following your equipment or whatever. With the basic shapes and grills and special operations and profiles you can do a lot, and the module can include some slabby object for some handle or whatever too.
This is a fantastic tip (although it almost seems obvious...)!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Ignacio,

that's a fantastic tip...definitely I have to explore this approach a bit more...thanks
::rk
Still another advantage I forgot to mention, that draws ooohs and aaahs: because you are composing your piece of equipment with different tools and objects, you can also set different display settings for each component story-wise. So that as you move your module you are moving vertically-coordinated stuff that displays on the floor(s) above and/or below (some all stories up, some immediately above, some others below), without actually seeing those components in the 'home story'.