BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
stefan
Expert
syber wrote:
So why is Maya, Softimage XSI, Renderman, Houdini, running in all kings of OS?
Because they ran on UNIX or IRIX before they were ported to Windows NT?

Softimage 3D (not XSI) was even bought by Microsoft to do the porting to NT as a proof of concept. Then they lost interest and sold it to Avid.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there anything to gain for the relatively small Graphisoft?
Hard question actually. Probably in smaller practices in developing countries, where cost of operating system, MS Office, Adobe stuff and some other packages are a quite a bit of money (considering they still have to be able to afford AC alone) yes. The thing is that in US and similar markets, some of that stuff is a part of computer set that you buy (over there is still mostly custom built specs - no OS or other software).
I personally use on my Win some of those "linux" stuff (blender, firefox, OpenOffice, and yes gimp). Sokme works better, some not so much. But for my architectural needs (my office needs). AC would be good enough. Maybe blender and gimp from time to time.
Question now is: how big is a market in those countries for GS? Hmmm?
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
syber wrote:
So why is Maya, Softimage XSI, Renderman, Houdini, running in all kings of OS?

Because they ran on UNIX or IRKS before they were ported to Windows NT?

Softimage 3DA (not XS) was even bought by Microsoft to do the porting to NT as a proof of concept. Then they lost interest and sold it to Avid.

Ok MAC OS is based on UNIX, AC is written for MAC OS.
I think it would be great if GS could give help to Linux community so we could run AC even under emulation.
I think this thread has become boring. we write the same thing again and again. Why Graphisoft don't give us an official answer about Linux version?
stefan
Expert
AutoCAD might not be the best example. Initially, it ran on many different PC's, often compiled for specific hardware. But by the time they introduced the Windows version, all other platforms were dropped quickly. It is highly unlikely to introduce other platforms again.

If you want truely cross-platform CAD, there are some initiatives, such as Brl-CAD, OpenCASCADE and Salome etc... but nothing for architects.

P.S. I am working on a cross-platform architectural design application, but it is not even in alpha-stage and is probably never going to be released anyway 😉 But it's using HOOPS (cross-platform framework for the scenegraph and display) and Qt (cross-platform framework for the GUI). It's mostly tested on Windows (XP and Vista) and OSX, but it also compiles and runs on Linux (Ubuntu, KUbuntu, Suse), but these platforms are tested less often.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
TomWaltz
Participant
syber wrote:
Why Graphisoft don't give us an official answer about Linux version?
My guess is because GS never really talks about its long-term plans in public
Tom Waltz
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
My guess is because GS never really talks about its long-term plans in public
I am not sure if it is really relevant in regards to OS platforms. I do not think they should slam the door on anything because it is not feasible at the moment... and who knows what is going to happen in few years time as software industry is really volatile place..eg look at apple OSX they were struggling just few years ago to deliver a proper full-on OS... now, I think they push the limits.
::rk
stefan
Expert
0x0065 wrote:
stefan wrote:
P.S. I am working on a cross-platform architectural design application, but it is not even in alpha-stage and is probably never going to be released anyway 😉
p.s. Why not release your app? Is it just a hobby? If you have, what's it called? If you're headed in the right direction... ...I've waited long enough to wait some more.
It's in academic research and it is only an illustration of concepts, not a full applications... I'm not a trained programmer, I'm still an architect.

It does help me to understand possibilities of development and cross-platform frameworks. Graphisoft did invest the option of developing ArchiCAD with Qt (the cross-platform toolkit) in the past, but chose not to use it. It would have made it much easier in the end to support Linux, but probably would also have meant quite a major porting effort, which is tough to sell at customers, since they would expect full compatibility and identical functionality... Noboby would accept loosing features because of supporting an additional platform!
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have longed for the day when a version of ArchiCAD is ported to Linux. I thought that when Apple chose to move to the Unix platform (and now I gather OSX is officially Unix) it wouldn't be too long before GS would be in a position to take the leap to supporting LINUX also. I am not after FREE software. I appreciate the effort and cost of developing a high end 3D modelling software and would be even happier to pay my monthly subscription to GS knowing that I could use it on the LINUX platform. It would give me a great sense of satisfaction being able to finally drop kick Microsoft forever into the darkness of the past. My current laptop is fully supported by LINUX including the Quadro FX1500 graphics card, so I have the machine, I have the OS (UBUNTU), I have the will, I just have one application I can't do without, GS ArchiCAD. PS I did manage to get V6.5 going under WINE but only just. Has anybody else had any success with this or its variants(CrossoverOffice etc)
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all

I thought that when Apple chose to move to the Unix platform (and now I gather OSX is officially Unix) it wouldn't be too long before GS would be in a position to take the leap to supporting LINUX also

fact that OSX become UNIX imho nothing change It is formal change... key word is officially...
OSX was UNIX even NEXT STEP OS was UNIX it is Steeve Jobs view on future OS

I'm not very well understanding in UNIX/POSIX? but afaiu POSIX needed to have possibility compile on another POSIX OS from source...
it is an ideal but afaik from open source trees also needed some specific code for ex. windows programmer need to create some windows branch tree... (windows is a POSIX compotable operating system)

AFAIU it works only with command line in all POSIX OSes And all GUI programmer need to wrote diferenly OR use some crossplatform widgets QT is not free for commercial use... WXwidget, GTK and other...

Wine it is dead end (imho) even bricscad that officially supoted by manufacture is not really comfortable...

LINUX need own grown CAD application... It is possible to run allplan (i heared someware that they planned natural linux version) or acad bricscad and some other itellycad based CADs on linux but it is hole in this:
Miscrostation 95 for students work only in 2D
Wildfire for linux (I don't know how it can be used for achitects)
arcad looks good but i coudn't try it
cycas realy poor... as for me
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey folks,

I left IT for rehabbing/building and I have to say I think _some_ mainline architectural CAD company is going to wake up and and realize that there is a market as large as OSX, and growing at a faster rate, that is a green field for this category of software.

Mac folks, slow your roll, I know your numbers are growing also (and this pleases me greatly), the main reason both platforms are growing is the continued poor quality (among other things) of Windows.

I have been following IT news _very_ closely for the past decade, and there is a sea change afoot. The Windows client monopoly has started to bleed, you can easily read about the Mac numbers increase because every switch is logged as a sale, but not so with Linux.

Of the numerous server and client Linux installs I have done, not one has ever been counted in any of the OS percentage breakdowns. This is the case with Linux, only a small percentage are actual sales and thus counted.

You can now read about _very_ large Linux _client_ deployments, in the tens and even hundreds of thousands. Anyone who says Linux will never be an appreciable desktop market simply has not been paying attention.

I am currently running Chief Architect and sketchup on Windows, on top of virtualbox, on top of Linux. I would drop CA in a heartbeat for a native Linux CAD package that was as 3D centric as CA is and AC seems to be.

Honestly I think Google is going cross the line first with a Linux port, Autocad as the market leader (and wired to the tits with MS dependent tech) will be last I suspect.

If folks want to take the position that AC simply doesn't have the resources to support a third platform, that argument at least has some legs.

But if the argument is that Linux will never be a viable desktop platform, bzzzzt, I'm sorry wrong answer.

It already exceeds OSX, maybe not in particular design fields, yet, but it is only a matter time.

It's just simple economics.
Learn and get certified!