Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Hyperlinked Section Markers in PDF

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you're using the 'Simple Section Marker' and have the marker auto-referenced to another sheet in your layout book, and then you create a merged PDF (so all the drawings are one PDF file) in publisher, when you open the PDF, and click on the Section Marker, it takes you to the section that it refers to.

While this is pretty cool, I don't know how useful it is (I know non of our clients would get it, they have trouble with multi-page PDFs as it is), and unfortunatley it creates an ugly hyperlink box around the page reference on the section marker. Does any one know how to switch this hyperlinking off, but keep the auto page referencing?
26 REPLIES 26
Erika Epstein
Booster
Tom,
How abut looking at this feature as a positive one instead of a possible tripping hazard?

Take the time to educate your clients in how to use it. Ultimately they will be able to navigate through the drawing sets much easier and with greater knowledge and understanding of the building you have designed for them
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,
Thanks for replying. I agree, if it was up too me I would try and educate the clients. However, it's not, I just do the drawings.

Aside from that, I've come across another problem which may or may not be related. The PDF files which include these links have increased 10 times in size. What used to be 300kb files are now 3mb. Not sure if it is related but if any body has come across it, have you been able to fix it?

(publishing from Publisher, using the Amyuni PDF printer).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to include these hyperlinks using the Save method, instead of the Amyuni Print drivers?

I think it's fantastic!

Hunter.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using the Save method, from Publisher.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom, I have discovered this myself and have linked it to publishing to PDF in batches. If I simply publish one drawing at a time, the sizes stay the same. If I publish a set, the dialog box tells me that the files are a manageable size but going to the folder and directory I saved them to, I find they have bloated 10x.

I also find that I have an equal number of blank sheets in the directory after I save as a single, multi-pdf file from the "create pdf>multiple files" command.

Try saving each file separately and see if that keeps the file size down. For me, this is a new development in AC 10 that did not occur in AC9.

Gary Bley
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gary,
I hadn't noticed that publishing separatly keeps the file size down, I'll try it. But this is still a workaround that, as you say, didn't happen in AC9. And not much fun when publishing a large document.

I've also found that when publishing a merged PDF, the file sizes stay small. It seems strange that 1 PDF will be 3mb in size, when a merged PDF drawing set, containing the same 3mb PDF (and 19 others) is only 4mb in size. Something's not right...

I've asked my reseller to look further into it. Will post if anything turns up.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We've just experienced a problem that I can't find the fix to. When converting to pdf, the hyperlinks are showing up in the section markers (where they belong) and then are being duplicated on the pdf in random spots. Has anyone experienced this before?
Dennis Lee
Booster
Tom wrote:
...and unfortunatley it creates an ugly hyperlink box around the page reference on the section marker. Does any one know how to switch this hyperlinking off, but keep the auto page referencing?
Does anyone know how to turn this box off? I usually send PDF's to the print shop, and it's very ugly to see these boxes all over the detail reference bubbles. I noticed in the Document Options box of the publisher, there is a setting for "Display Refernce", but this box acts weird. It works sometimes, and doesn't work sometimes.

I'd like to either make the box invisible, or if not possible don't have linking at all in the pdf.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Dennis Lee
Booster
I've since found that I can control the visibility of these boxes from Adobe Acrobat Professional to show as "Invisible rectangle", but that means I have to search for these boxes all over the drawings, select them and change them manually.

I've found that if I make one layout to pdf at a time, the links are not there. However, I have a sheet with referenced details in the same sheet, and those are always showing up w/ a rectangle around the reference.

I think that the default from ArchiCAD should be to make these rectangles invisible.
Otherwise, at least give us an option to choose.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9