Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

best way to make tile surrounds for bathrooms.

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you make tile surrounds for tubs and separate rooms for carpet/tile/wood flooring, stuff like that? I've just been making separate walls and slabs for each application but something tells me there's got to be an easier way. For the tile surrounds I just make a 3/8" thick wall that goes around right next to the existing interior wall. the only time I have any issues at all when doing that is when I do it next to a log wall, then the logs get all whacky on me and the recesses create long cylinders that extend throughout the entire project and way out past anything that I'm working on. Anyway, what's the easiest way to do this? Does AC10 have a function that allows me to allocate so much slab to carpet in a given room?...and if so, how do I do that on walls for tile and marble?
8 REPLIES 8
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
You can try the Roof/Slab/Wall Accessories add-on (it's a Goody). Like everything else AC, it will suit about 80% of your needs, but there are always exceptions...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
It depends how detailed you want to be in your modeling. Most firms I know use fills to show floor patterns and draw the tiles into interior elevations. If you want these finishes modeled in detail you do need to do pretty much as you say.

Wall tile can also be done with material settings on simple or composite walls for full height tile, or with profiled walls for partial height. Floor finishes can also be shown with zone fills. If you want to model the depth of a floor finish - such as in slab recesses for flush mud and tile - you can use a slab in the tiled area and subtract it from the main slab.

This is one of those areas where you really have to decide just how much you want/need to model and how much can just be drawn in 2D.
There's also Cigraph's ArchiTiles, or the TileWorks object at Objects Online. Mostly, it's quicker just to use fills, as Matthew says, unless a really accurate rendering or calculation is required.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
TomWaltz
Participant
I tend to just draw 1/4" thick walls with a tile material assigned to the face and put on a layer that will not show in plan.

For floors, I'll usually do one slab for the overall floor structure and another that is 1/4" thick just in the rooms that get tile (if I need them... usually I'll omit this unless it's for a rendering)

How do you actually place tiles on a log wall, anyway?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Mosaic?
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I tend to just draw 1/4" thick walls with a tile material assigned to the face and put on a layer that will not show in plan.

For floors, I'll usually do one slab for the overall floor structure and another that is 1/4" thick just in the rooms that get tile (if I need them... usually I'll omit this unless it's for a rendering)

Well I didn't actually place them on the log wall. I have a tiled outdoor shower on the porch of a contemporary log home and the surround was done with 1/4" thick walls...BUT, when I first put them in there the walls were too close together or interfering with each other and were possibly sharing space. Which we all know is not possible in real life. I just fixed the issue by moving the thin tile walls away from the logs a fraction of some fractions. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
e.honda wrote:
..BUT, when I first put them in there the walls were too close together or interfering with each other and were possibly sharing space. Which we all know is not possible in real life. I just fixed the issue by moving the thin tile walls away from the logs a fraction of some fractions.
You could have also placed the tile on a layer with a different intersection group from the backup wall -- this way the two can align without mending.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
e.honda wrote:
..BUT, when I first put them in there the walls were too close together or interfering with each other and were possibly sharing space. Which we all know is not possible in real life. I just fixed the issue by moving the thin tile walls away from the logs a fraction of some fractions.
You could have also placed the tile on a layer with a different intersection group from the backup wall -- this way the two can align without mending.
I didn't think about that. I could easily do that....and since I have a massive photoshop background I get the stupid point for the day for not thinking about that.