BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Drawing displaced on layout

Anonymous
Not applicable
Several people in my office have this problem. It's simple but we just can't find the cause of it. Often when we want to place a new drawing on the layout it is displaced miles away from the actual layout. So we need to zoom out, find a little dot on the screen that represents the drawing, drag it back to the layout and zoom in back again. Any ideas why this happens?
14 REPLIES 14
TomWaltz
Participant
I've seen it too. I tried changing the drawing anchor point from internal to one of the 9 grid-point anchors and it seems to at least reduce the frequency of it.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check if your master layouts have the origin in the low left corner...
I can see that the one in the attached picture is far away from the origin...
Hope it helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your quick replys.
To Braza:
No, that origin that you see on the picture is the origin of the select marquee as I try to select that tiny dot which is the actual drawing.
To TomWaltz:
Sorry, I don't quite understand this. This happens when I drag the drawing from View Map to the actual Layout in the Organizer. So when I open that layout I can't see the drawing. Then I zoom out and realize that it is far away from the layout sheet. I would expect the drawing to be placed somewhwrw inside the layout sheet.
So, at which stage would you actually change the drawing anchor point?
Eduardo Rolon
I have seen this occur sometimes when you change the scale of a viewpoint and it jumps to somewhere far away from the origin when you update the drawing in Layout. It could be that the drag and drop operation is causing this behavior. AFAIK it is locating the drawing as far away from the origin in Layout as the section marker is located in the floor plan.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your comments, Eduardo. However, this happens even if I save and place the view on layout directly from the floor plan (Alt+F7) without any changing of the scale. And it happens regardless if it is an elevation or a plan view. Actually, with some files it happens all the time, with others it doesn't happen at all. Weird.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes - very wierd.

I witnessed it myself - I made all the same suggestions as above, and of course, Akos had tried all the above before I saw it anyway... Naturally we all test what we know usually causes problems, but in this instance none of them seem to be the reason...

It would be good to find out the cause of the mysterious behaviour...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, the fact that is seems so file-specific rather than computer specific, makes me think it may have something to do with loaded libraries for the plns that cause trouble ... maybe we could look into that...
Djordje
Ace
This usually happens with the files where the model is very far from the origin. For me, it always happened if I have an Xref or a DWG pulled in - then the placed drawing can be anywhere, and you often have to put it back in place even after an update.

If you do have a DWG, try opening it in Autocad and set the limits. Also, all fills should be linked to own origin, not to drawing origin - that you set in Archicad after placing the DWG.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djordje.

It's also the first thing I asked.

I think it's the project origin that matters, rather than the user origin, because Akos showed me that he could put the user origin straight onto the corner of the section he was placing, and the drawing ended up miles away.

The problem is, with masterplanning, the building IS miles away because it's only one unit in a large development.

I think there is probably no solution in that case... if GS decided to make it relative to the user origin then people would have problems of drawings moving all over the place on layouts every time they moved their user origin within the model.

I remember even in the days of 7 how you and I found DWGs annoying when their authors put their info miles from their origins...
Learn and get certified!