Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Demo/Exist/New: how to keep new doors off demolition view?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey y'all -

I'm working on a renovation, and there's an existing wall that needs holes demo'd in for new doors.

My wall is on an "existing" layer.

I want the door on a "new" layer, so that the hole gets cut in the wall for all layers and I can put dotted lines on the "demo" layer.

Unfortunately, I can't put the door on a "new" layer, it goes automatically on the "exist" layer. And I have to put a "demo" layer fill over the "existing" door. Or, I have to cut up the wall and assign it different layers, which can get goofy in the interior elevations, requiring fills to mask imperfections.

Is there another way, or am I stuck with fills to mask things that shouldn't appear?
2 REPLIES 2
Erich
Contributor
Jocelyn,

Since the doors are tied to the walls in which they are placed, you cannot just demo the door. You must slice the wall on either side and place the wall on a demo layer. But rather than changing line types and fills, etc. I would suggest taking a look at this article:

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2008/issue26-archicad.html

While at first glance this may seem complicated, in practice it is quite easy and has the benefit of preserving the original conditions for future reference.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jocelyn:

Other threads on the same topic:

Demo doors & Windows

Assigning elements to be "demolished"

I am sure there are others if you search.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14