BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx now requires login?

Am I to understand that BIMx now requires a login to open and view models? So when we send our clients a link to the BIMx app, and then a link to our model, they have to create a Graphisoft account?

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/BIMx/BIMx-Licensing/ta-p/304184?anchor=bimx_license_types&gstype...

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
24 REPLIES 24
runxel
Legend

Oof, that would be as bad as it gets.... 😑

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast

Models, yes. Model, no. The third bullet point at the link you shared indicated that users would be able to open one model without signing in. Users will also be able to open the built-in demo model and the featured models from the BIMx Model Transfer site without signing in. 

iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Sonoma)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
DGSketcher
Legend

Not good is it? Marketing probably want to start bombarding our clients with stuff they have little interest in, meanwhile all those repeat clients who were thinking BIMx is the next best thing to PDF will think twice about opening the model because they don't want another web account to worry about. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Clear as mud. But it would appear after checking by logging out that you can continue to view the first model you opened when you first start using the updated app, but any other models are locked until you sign in.

So single model client. ok. Repeat client with different sites or large split / phased projects will be require everyone using the BIMx app to sign in. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I usually do one model per phase:

Existing conditions

Conceptual/Schematic Design

Design Development

Looks like every damn client will now have to create a login, and then inevitably tell me they could review my latest revision because they forgot their password, etc.

Really not fair for us to put our clients through this. Does any other major CAD software require their viewer apps to use a login?

I don't get it.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
runxel
Legend

Looks like per Q&A session today that GS absolutely thinks that this would be a great idea and doubling down on it.

Hey Graphisoft: IT IS NOT.

Please stop this utter nonsense. Or just keep digging your own grave, idk man.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I now dread the future conversations with my clients explaining why they have to sign up for "another" web account just to see my model of their house.

*sigh*

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Well, maybe you can have a "Client" account to pass around? At least that way they don´t have to register...

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10

Interesting idea, it also makes the point that the registration feature could become a complete waste of time, which it is anyway.