BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimension style similar to this!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to get a dimension style similar to this? (attached image)

1- The text is always horizontal even when the dimension line is vertical, and
2- Dimension text is next to one of the sides.
3- There is no witness line
I can of course move & rotate the dimension text manually one by one, but I want to see if I can automate it. this is more or less the marketing format standard here for which they have an AutoCAD Dim style defined for (hence the ugly fonts in the image!)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
2 out of three ain't bad (according to Meatloaf).

I thought there was an option for horizontal text, but I think that is only for angular dimensions and radii.

Made dimension line colour 91 (white), no witness lines, text in middle of line, selected arrow head.

No comment on fonts please, and of course it's metric, sorry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Stuart,
unless I'm missing something though, I think you got one out of three , my second request was to get the text to be close to the left side or right side of the dimension string (next to one of the arrows)

the white line should work fine for my needs, the only small imperfection I could anticipate is that if I have a fill (or an object with a fill) under the line, the white line will show above it, but I doubt anyone will notice and I can set the weight of the white line to the smallest possible.

By the way in Canada we use metric for construction and official applications, imperial for marketing and anything the end user will see! very confusing!
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're absolutely right. 2 out of three ain't bad, so only one out of three must be. Oops.

May I suggest you use one of the . . . dotted line types to further reduce conflict with fills.

I've used metric all my working life, but I'm still 5'7", go figure. (yeah, short@rse, I know).
Chazz
Enthusiast
Hassanen wrote:
I think you got one out of three , my second request was to get the text to be close to the left side or right side of the dimension string (next to one of the arrows)
Actually I think you can get 3 outta 3. (just not all in one fell swoop):

To get the text to one side use the "chain" option.
To get Text horizontal, select the dim text(s) and set to 0 degrees (not automatic but you can do an entire story at once).
To get the white line not to show over a fill, use display order.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can select project at one time by using the dark marqee tool. Drag it around the whole project and select the dimension tool. then Edit>Select all. change what you want then say ok and remove the Marqee. It has always worked for me.
Learn and get certified!