Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

System requirements for Structural Engineers

Richard Molnar
Contributor

Hi All,

We are a Structural Engineering office using Archicad for many many years now. We built our workstations in 2016 following the AC19 and AC20 system requirements on Graphisoft's website and the workstations worked well enough for many many years, but it is finally time to build a new one as the old ones are not strong enough. Over the years we learned a few things, but the 2 main things are related to the CPU and Graphics card.

We work a lot with imported IFC and REVIT models and we noticed that for a lot of the operations that are related to the imported models Archicad uses only 1 core or sometimes only 1 thread from the CPU. Since it is the same in AC27 we ended up with the conclusion that speed/core is more important than the number of cores. If any of the people here could recommend an intel CPU (i7 or i9) we would greatly appreciate it.

Since we don't render any photos we found that the current NVIDIA Quadro graphics card is overpriced and often not strong enough to navigate in 3D (that has imported models of large projects). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for a graphics card that could help.

Although I am more of a CAD technician than an IT professional I do build my own PCs for home and work so I did come up with a possible new build back in October 2023. Please check it and let me know if you would replace any parts:

Case: CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9 24-Core Processor i9-13900K (Up to 5.8GHz) 36MB Cache

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS MASTER (LGA1700, DDR5, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0, WIFI6E) - ARGB Ready

RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 4800MHz (2 x 32GB)

Graphics: 12GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4070 Ti OC EDITION - HDMI, DP NONE (BRACKET INCLUDED AS STANDARD ON 4070 Ti AND ABOVE)

Storage: 1TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 5000 MB/R, 3500 MB/W)

Power supply: CORSAIR 750W RMe SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

CPU cooling: CORSAIR ICUE LINK H100i RGB HIGH PERFORMANCE CPU COOLER (250W TDP)

Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

OPS: Windows 11 Professional 64 Bit

Thank you in advance.

Operating system used: Windows

Richard Molnar
AC 6.5-9.0 & 19-27 (latest build)
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K 4.00GHz Quad Core, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K1200
10 REPLIES 10

Hi! Could i inquiry how big your files are?

Setup info provided by author