BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

can a hard copy be scanned and used in archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
following on from my last post

just wondering if i can the hardcopy of my plans into a format that can then be used inarchicad

if yes a few words of guidance would be most appreciated
2 REPLIES 2
Dwight
Newcomer
An OLD GUY speaks:

Depending on the accuracy of your drawing and output, you CAN scan the image, place it as a figure in ArchiCAD and then trace over it. Assuming its a construction document with dimensions listed, that is great, or....

Big deal. This is an immense waste of time, especially for a rectilinear building and impossible if it is not.

Assuming tha you want to recreate a floor plan, say, here's what you do:

Whether or not you place an image UNDER your ArchiCAD layout for guidance:

Develop a dialog protocol for use with an assistant:
1: to analyse repeating building components and exploit them by mirroring, copying and dragging segments appropriately.
2: to proceed to draft walls using strict discipline having the assistant call out the coordinates as you work your way clockwise around the building. It is faster than you think if you use the continuous wall tool and simply have them shout the x and y for each new point.
3: Then you go back and place the windows.
4: then you copy and flip the repeating bits around...

This is faster than trying to read through the layout to the underlying scan.... because it takes too long to locate dimension data - especially on older, hand lettered drawings AND it is impossible to make a scan of an architectural plan resolved enough to get the pixels small emough to scale from....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight is right, it depends on what "used" means. If you simply want to reproduce them directly or add a few lines or notes, etc. then yes you can easily do this with any raster format supported by AC. In AC 10 you can even use PDF and import them directly onto layouts or anywhere else.
Learn and get certified!