BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Cross Section Markers

Brett Brown
Advocate
Hi All, Something that has bugged me for a long time. Why or can we not move the Cross Section Marker head in plan and not effect the resulting section view extents? The heads need to be unlinked from the actually point where AC draws the section. Is there a better section object that does this? I like the the way Revit handles this,very simple.Hopefully someone can lead me to an equivalent answer. Thanks
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
6 REPLIES 6
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
AFAIK you can't do this. Because the Section line describles the extent of the section it is necessarily connected. I don't know how Revit works but one solution ( work around ) is to put the real section marker on a invisible layer and use a 2D marker for display in plan view.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thanks for that. My work around is turn off the heads and put in a 2D head where I want. But it all costs time and thought this would have been requested years ago and such a simple improvement implemented. Hopefully someone has a more automated section marker.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There was a wish (discussion) a while back along similar lines. It would be nice to have moveable markers especially where the extent of a section changes as a building rises (think wide base with a narrow tower, for example).

I have used Gerald's method, too, with a dummy section marker.
__archiben
Booster
it would be nice for both section ends to detach from the cut line, i agree.

but - if you are only wanting to show one marker end it is possible: in the section dialogue settings choose the option to place the marker in the middle. you can then detach it with the pet palette just like the elevation markers.

~/archiben
middleMarker.png
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Brett Brown
Advocate
Is that new in 12? Another thing that puzzles me is the hotspot on the text in the marker. Why would you move the text only? Why doesn't that hotspot move the marker head and text as one, like the elevation marker?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is always fascinating to me all the different ways people use Archicad.
Ever since I started using AC in version 4.5 I have never shown
any section markers. They are always on a normally hidden layer
and I have always used dummy markers. As I remember, in AC 4.5,
there was no ability to just show the marker ends and a short piece
of line. The marker line went all the way across the plan and so you
had a clutter of section lines. When AC allowed more display freedom
for the section markers, I kept to my old practice because I could
lie a bit about where the section was actually taken for purposes of
clarity and ease of getting something quickly into the drawing.
Peter Devlin
Learn and get certified!