BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Architectural Technologist elsewhere in the world?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

Just curious...is there a Architectural Technologist designation elsewhere in the world?

FYI-I am a Architectural Technologist here in Saskatchewan, trained through an applied technical school. We are a unique group of professionals who work in a number of areas including drafting for large architectural firms,home builders, structural engineers or are business owners doing contract drafting & design for single family residential or small commercial projects. We are governed by the regulations of the NBC(National Building Code) as to the types & sizes of projects we can complete. I apologize to any Architectural technologists if I have left out any discipline! Feel free to add your description.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here in the UK it is the same designation

refer to http://www.ciat.org.uk/ for details

me ? Im just a CAD monkey
Anonymous
Not applicable
At one point there was a "Building Designer" designation as a step below a licensed architect but that has since fallen by the wayside.

Around here, they are pretty snippy about exactly who can use the title ARCHITECT or any confusingly similar form of the word.

Non-architects, however, can provide services for a few classes of buildings - including single family residential.
Anonymous
Not applicable
very interesting...
Djordje
Ace
I have very high respect for your profession. Traditionally, the technologists were the real cogs of the architectural bureau machine that got the work done between the dreaming designers, and the dull engineers. In the CAD world, the same. AFAIK their role in the VB/BIM environments should be immense.

Because - there is huge gap between an architectural engineer (can someone please explain to me WHY is it automatically considered that architects don't know how a building is to be built?) and the draughtsman/woman. The technologists know the rules of the trade, the basics of design, and therefore produces technically correct work. Unlike an average draughtsman, that, with the advent of CAD, mainly knows where to click, without ANY idea WHAT is it on the scren.

And, if you work with ArchiCAD, you are a VB - or, as the big A says - BIM monkey 😉 No CAD there ... oh yes, terminology issues, yes 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Architectural Technician here...
Learn and get certified!