BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Partially Change surface finish off wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Just wondering if you could point me in the right direction on the tutorials.

How do you change the surface properties of part of the wall, say a wall with a dividing wall, where you want different finishes either side of the dividing wall.

Not sure what the correct terminology is for this.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you show a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to split the wall. I can think of a couple ways you could change the wall color along its length without splitting but they are weird. Definitely easier to split it so you can color the pieces independently. If there is a problem with splitting you could apply the lining or furring as separate walls on either side of what you refer to as the dividing wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I am adding a summer house to an existing house and what part of the in the new room paint finish, whilst the rest remains brick finish.

Thanks for the interest and help so far.

Cheers

See attached
Anonymous
Not applicable
icebandit wrote:
See attached
Nothing was attached to your post!

I guess in the situation you describe you may want to use a very thin wall placed on the outside of the existing wall as per the second option Matthew described. Think of this as a paint or plaster layer over the existing brickwork (as it would be in real life). Place an empty opening in it to form the doorway if necessary.

If the roof of the summer house is pitched or at an angle, use SEO to 'trim' the top of the 'paint' layer to the ceiling.

It would be worth placing this thin wall on a separate layer with a different layer intersection group number to the main wall to avoid the two walls trying to join automatically, or any other weirdness occuring!

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Whats the best way to add an attachment.

I pasted a print of the image and compressed it and placed it on a Word Doc.

But it did n't allow this.

I tried applying a thin plaster layer previously as you suggested, however I struggled with the existing door opening I have in this wall already. As the paint finsh went straight over the opening. Then theres the reveals to colour up too.

I was hoping I could cut it out using the slab tool. But no luck.

People must do this all the time thou, as you dont want a brick and paint wall in the same room.

Thanks for your help so far.
Anonymous
Not applicable
icebandit wrote:
Hi

Whats the best way to add an attachment.

I pasted a print of the image and compressed it and placed it on a Word Doc.

But it did n't allow this...
Take a snap shot of your screen (Prnt Scrn button on PC, or CMD+SHIFT+4 on Mac and define the area you want) then use the "Choose file" button below when inputting your message.
Picture 1.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again,

Click the 'Choose File' button that's located under the message composing box to choose an image to upload. It needs to be under 200kb ? in size, I believe. Use .jpeg or .png format for the smallest file size possible.

The alternative is to host the image online somewhere, and just link to the image by using the IMG tags, or by pasting the code that some image hosting sites have ready prepared.

Regarding the opening - use an empty opening placed in the thin wall that is the same size as the main opening. There is a big 'Empty Opening' button at the top of the door settings dialog box for this purpose.

The standard door objects don't have a setting to control the material of the outer reveals, so, as before, try using two more very thin pieces of wall returning to meet the door frame.

An alternative could be to use an SEO with the 'Inherit Attributes of Operator' option ticked. This makes any new surfaces cut with an SEO have the same material as the face of the operator. Create a slab the same size as the door opening, then stretch each edge 1mm further so in effect a tiny amount is trimmed from the wall around the opening. Put the trimming slab on a hidden layer so it doesn't appear on plan.

Both these techniques take longer to describe than to actually do!

(Edit - Ahh, Ninjad by Stuart!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
(Edit - Ahh, Ninjad by Stuart!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is what I was working on.

With all the tips I will have a go tomorrow.

Thanks for your time, only just messing about with the software with College.

Do you work in 3D all the time when carrying out this method ?

Cheers
Learn and get certified!