BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

help with solid element operations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok basicaly i am trying to cut holes in slabs to make cabinets and the similar.
after following this great guide http://www.archicadwiki.com/Solid%20Element%20Operations?highlight=%28in%29%7C%28groove%29%7C%28wall... ..

I am sorted everything i need all the holes i have done are done, and look great IMO.
My only issue is...
In that guide they make the cuttings go a different colour to the external wall colour? is this possible with a slab? as i would like the bits i have cut out to be a different colour to the rest, with out adding other walls etc in there (which is what i am currently doing and its taking hours more then it should!).

If any one could help me that would be great!!
cheers, alex.
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
alex:

You may need to post a screen shot of your issue, but one item you should look at is the options of "New Surfaces of Target will:" in the SEO dialog box. The attributes inherited include the pen and material of the operator.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make your operator the material you want the inside of your holes to be. In the SEO dialog box check "Inherit Attributes of Operator"
Does that help you?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks HAL900, i didnt see that box, but that doesnt seem to help me?

i tried it that time but no good still

i added an attachment of what i mean, where there has been the cut out of the red curve, i want to make the inside of that white?

if that makes any sense?

the inherit attributes of operater seems to be what i want, but its just not working (i have made all faces of the beam [operater] white).

the beam is on wire frame now, if you were wondering.

actualy another slight issue which may effect it?
I original did one, on a completly different area, on a compelty different slab and beam, of which i subtracted the area of the beam etc. and now everytime i put a beam on a slab and hide the beam it leaves a "hole" where the beam should be? Kind of like i have done the solid element operation on that beam and slab as well?

cheers,

alex.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The operator will need to be on a layer that has a different layer intersection priority number than the target(s). It is a good idea to create a dedicated layer for such purposes and give it a unique layer intersection priority number saved in every layer combo.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is going to sound really dumb, BUT..
what do you mean?

Do you mean in the properties of the item, the cut priortiy? (under the structure section) which default is set on "7". for beams. i think i could be wrong due to that slabs do not have that.

Or am i way of the mark? I can just not find anything about layer intersection priority's?

EDIT:
I kinda just worked it out, if i use a slab as the operater and a slab as the target, i can get it to work perfectly!! I am not sure why i didnt use slabs the first time, but o well.

i will still like to know how to make it work with beams as well through if anybody can work out my problem!

thanks guys!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
No, try hitting Ctrl+L and looking at your layer settings. You will see a column of numbers. The number for your solid element operator needs to be a different number than the target. Doesn't matter what the numbers are as long as they are different.

It's working for you now because your slab and your walls must be on layers with different intersection priority numbers.

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Link:

It depends on the elements being used. When a Beam is used to cut a Slab, then the intersection group number needs to be different (the beam is cutting the slab when they are the same intersection group number without the SEO, you can see this just by placing the beam and slab without SEO, then selecting the slab in the 3D Window). If a Slab is used to cut a Slab, the intersection group number can be the same.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
__archiben
Booster
David wrote:
It depends on the elements being used...
this is true, but the lowest common denominator is that both auto-cleaning and non-auto-cleaning elements will work when a dedicated operator layer is set at to a different priority than it's targets.

if you are using SEOs with operators on a dedicated layer this is a best practice method in my opinion: it will work every time.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!