Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Allow defining or redefining a named layer combination directly from the layers currently displaying

Paul King
Advisor

Currently, anyone wanting to save a named layer combination corresponding to the layers currently displaying needs to go through a trial and error process to manually identify and locate all the currently showing layers in the layer settings dialog, and to manually add them to a new named layer combination.

This process can be painful, can take some time, and is quite error prone - and seems to offer no benefit over simply and directly allocating a name to the current 'custom' layer combination showing.

Similarly, it should be possible to update an existing layer combination definition using the currently displaying layers, rather than manually looking up and toggling on or off layers in layer settings dialog.

PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly

@Paul King wrote:

Currently, anyone wanting to save a named layer combination corresponding to the layers currently displaying needs to go through a trial and error process to manually identify and locate all the currently showing layers in the layer settings dialog, and to manually add them to a new named layer combination.

This process can be painful, can take some time, and is quite error prone - and seems to offer no benefit over simply and directly allocating a name to the current 'custom' layer combination showing.

I don't understand your 'trial and error' process.

If you have your custom layers turned on as you want, just go to the Layer Settings and create a 'New' layer combination.

Job done.

The layers you want on are already turned on - no need to go through the list?

I agree, that if you want to update an existing layer combination, there is no way to redefine the layer combination with the current custom layers.

You can 'update status' of an existing layer combination, but you have to select the combination first and the turn on/off the layers, then update status and all will update in one click.

Unfortunately there is no way to select an existing layer combination without losing the custom layers you have set.

Also, create a 'new' layer combination based on the custom layers, delete the existing layer combination you wanted to modify and then rename the new combination with the old name, doesn't work either.

Because the views remember the layer combinations by ID numbers now (attribute index numbers), and not the name.

So all the views that used the deleted layer combination will have a 'Missing' combination.

And it appears you can not 'Delete & Replace' layer combinations in the Attribute Manger - which would solve that problem if we could.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:

I don't understand your 'trial and error' process.

If you have your custom layers turned on as you want, just go to the Layer Settings and create a 'New' layer combination.

Job done.

The layers you want on are already turned on - no need to go through the list?

Hi Barry, sorry, quite right - the first time around, you don't need to go manually through the list.  I had got into the habit of doing so a few versions back due to layer combos seemingly unravelling or being ignored unless manually set up (not sure if that was a bug, or just me doing something weird).

However the same wish applies when it comes to updating existing layer combinations - as is often necessary on the fly, especially when multiple people are teamworking and some are better at layer discipline than others.

Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop

Hi all,

I can overcome the second wish to update any existing layer combo by hiding or locking layers through plan or 3D view & open layers palette then deleting the old combo and easily create a new one based on recent adjustments.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

@Mahmoud Qenawi wrote:

I can overcome the second wish to update any existing layer combo by hiding or locking layers through plan or 3D view & open layers palette then deleting the old combo and easily create a new one based on recent adjustments.

Yes, but any views that were using that deleted layer combination, will now have a 'Missing" layer combination.

So, you will have to find all views using the combination and amend the settings.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, you’re right that exactly what I face but at least I can manage that fast through view settings as I know exactly which view is using it.

Sure that works for the small-size projects but for big ones the wish is still alive.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

You can use this fantastic addon that does exactly what the post title asks for:

https://archi-xt.com/add-ons/save-layer-settings/

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Paul King
Advisor

That addon looks cool - as well as a few other tools by the same author.

That said, I think this is something that should be inherent in ArchiCAD rather than requiring a separate subscription & update cost with every ArchiCAD version.

Yeah, I know about before but really I try to find a solution already free & inside Archicad instead of being promoting for a paid add-on which I didn't buy or use,

but sure this is a great solution & if added to Archicad it'd be so useful.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
Botonis
Advisor

This is the problem with a perfect addon.

Once you try it you cannot live without it. 

Greetings @BerndSchwarzenbacher

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.