BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Translator and Conversion options for HLM instances of PLNs

Josh Verran
Expert

I'm familiar with the process of working with IFC files, by where you place as a hotlink.

You then have options for the translators to map things like layers, properties, classifications etc.

I've just placed a HLM of a PLN, however realizing that there's no option to pick a translator (which makes sense - it's not an IFC). But surely there's a way to map (and save preferences) for when you're working with PLNs (or PLAs for that matter).

Any suggestions?

One idea I had which I haven't tried is to export as IFC from the original file, however, I suspect I will lose the native AC elements (eg Walls become whatever geometry is set in the translator).

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
2 REPLIES 2
Lingwisyer
Guru

As in you are wanting to place someone elses model into your template, and are wanting to "translate" their template into yours? If you are collaborating with someone else using AC, would it not be better to all be using the same template?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Josh Verran
Expert

Yeah, there's a couple of scenarios.
One where we need to utilize a model that someone else has created in their system/template.
Unfortunately, it's not always reasonable to expect another company to use our template.
Also, our template is reasonably evolved, we would benefit from utilizing our pre-set views, layouts, schedules, properties (expressions) etc.

There's also the issue of IP.

Another scenario is within our office, we have instances where a model was created in our own system, but years have passed, and templates etc have evolved.

If we can convert/translate the previously mentioned parameters, we can utilize old models, in new templates.

This can all be done manually, but being able to automate has it's benefits.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Learn and get certified!