BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

text imports differently on mac and pc?

Erika Epstein
Booster
When I import a DWG of a sheet of specs:

On a mac I get the text in sections of text similar to how it was probably typed or placed. When I select one of these sections and explode it, any method, it becomes individual lines of text.

On the pc, using the same translator and checking that all settings are the same, the text comes in as single sheet. When this is exploded, any method, then it becomes individual lines of text.

In this particular case, not having the original in a text format, I prefer the mac way, as it makes it much easier to rearrange, or only explode the section(s) that may need to be edited.

Is it possible to replicate this on the pc?

Has anyone come across a utility that they would recommend that takes individual lines of text and puts it into a text editor for easy editing?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
1 REPLY 1
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm not sure, but I would check if there are differences depending on how you import the dwg.

For example:
Pen/color mapping at import of DWG/DXF files using the Keep Pen Index Number translator only works correctly using Merge or Xref. To Open or Drag-in (Place External Drawing) ignores the pen mapping table in the selected KPIN translator.

Autocad Line type translation at import that has been enhanced in AC12 works correctly using the Open or Merge or Drag(Place External Drawing) but not when you Xref.

The above means in brief that only Merge works for me if I need a correct representation of the Autocad DWG drawing. I can't use Xref anymore which is frustrating. My layer tables get contaminated with the infinite amounts of layers that Autocad users like because of the ancient idiotic nowadays unneeded "Bylayer" constraint they still use.

There might be similar differences regarding text import. Please test and report back!

(Disclaimer: I haven't tested this with AC12 release 2285)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!