BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

what sofware for BIM with complex facade?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have secured a large residentail project with a complex facade. The concept was modelled in Rhino but we have committed to deliver a full BIM project. Think of a wellington boot with a scolloped top and an inverted crease in the front and you get the picture. I am not sure Revit 2009 or Archicad v12 can handle this facade (we use both) and we may have to consider Generative Components or Digital Project but do not have the user base or the time.

Our Struc/MEP consultants are using Revit 2009 but transfer via IFC is still an option as we have a large ArchiCad user base. Doing the facade in 3DMax/Rhino/Cinema4D etc is not an option. Would appreciate your feedback.
HM
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Depending on how the façade is modulated you might be able to use the curtainwall tool in ArchiCAD. The alternatives of custom parts in ArchiCAD or custom families in Revit are probably both possible but daunting. The devil is in the details.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A pisture will be of great help in understanding your question!
Dwight
Newcomer
pisture = what a Canadian draws in the snow late on Saturday night.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Harry
Harry wrote:
We have secured a large residentail project with a complex facade. The concept was modelled in Rhino but we have committed to deliver a full BIM project. Think of a wellington boot with a scolloped top and an inverted crease in the front and you get the picture. I am not sure Revit 2009 or Archicad v12 can handle this facade (we use both) and we may have to consider Generative Components or Digital Project but do not have the user base or the time.

Our Struc/MEP consultants are using Revit 2009 but transfer via IFC is still an option as we have a large ArchiCad user base. Doing the facade in 3DMax/Rhino/Cinema4D etc is not an option. Would appreciate your feedback.
HM
That facade is going to need a structural design of its own. If your guys have not done it before, best to subcontract it to someone using Tekla, the BIM of the structural design world. It has a special facade module. You are stuck with IFC anyway.

Yes, you can do the modeling in ArchiCAD also, or Revit, but that thing has to be DESIGNED and the basis for that is the structural design. So if I were you, I would not try to know everything, but know who knows what.

My two dirhams,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Harry wrote:
Think of a wellington boot with a scolloped top and an inverted crease in the front and you get the picture.
Looks like this , then?
(edited: as there were no comments on this, I apologize for bad taste. I have removed the attachment. The link is enough.)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
So, I invented a new word, but it appeares it has already been invented!
Dwight
Newcomer
Spelling mistakes help us discover new words.
I made this one just last week:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Introsuction
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Dwight wrote:

Perhaps 'carve' would be a better word than draw'...

And, with a limited color palette...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
pass the beets, Karl.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!