BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Disappearing dimensions

kevin b
Contributor
We have several people in the office have dimensions that disappear.

The problem seems to fix itself when closing out of AC12 and relaunching it. The problem is that many times people will see there are no dimensions, put dimensions into the drawing only to find a double set of dimensions when the file is reopened.

Anyone else having this problem?

Anyone else think this is the buggiest release of ArchiCAD in a long time?
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
17 REPLIES 17
__archiben
Booster
kevin wrote:
We have several people in the office have dimensions that disappear.

The problem seems to fix itself when closing out of AC12 and relaunching it. The problem is that many times people will see there are no dimensions, put dimensions into the drawing only to find a double set of dimensions when the file is reopened.

Anyone else having this problem?
you need to carefully check your view settings for each placed drawing: with 12 we can now switch between 'full', 'without finish' and a 'core-only' model. each of these states is saved with the view.

how does this affect dimensions? because each of these states can drastically change the sizes of walls, columns, etc any associated dimension will be next to useless. so each state gets it's own set of dimensions. if your dimensions have been placed in one state and your view is saved in another they will disappear.

no, it's not immediately apparent or the best solution.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
You may have discovered a 'feature' rather than a bug.

In 12, dimensions appear not just based on their layer, but also based on the current setting for the partial structure display.

So, if you create dimension chains with Entire Structure as the PSD option (which is stored with a view) and then change to Core Only, then those dimensions will seemingly disappear - they will only show up when (1) their layer is on and (2) the PSD is set to Entire Structure.

Ditto Core Only, and Without Finishes.

I would guess this is what is happening to you? If not, it must be a bug related to this new behavior.

??

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
kevin b
Contributor
This is all within the same view. Dimensions are there, then gone, then back again.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

kevin b
Contributor
We are not using the feature at all. All our views are set to Entire Structure.

And, if the setting is changed it appears that all the dims turn on or off. This is seemingly random, only some are gone.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

__archiben
Booster
do you know exactly what you are doing immediately prior to the dims disappearing? and which type of elements are they associated to?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
kevin b
Contributor
Its hard to track because, for me it was one of those "I swear I already dimensioned that" moments. I am trying to get it to reproduce but it seems intermitent. I have asked everyone else to let me know when it happens again so we can try to figure it out.

The ones I personally had disappear where radial dimensions of a curved wall and I don't know what I was doing just before they disappeared. Like I say its not like they popped off the screen, just at some point I noticed they were gone, redimensioned the walls, and then the next day had two sets of radial dimensions.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same thing happening to me. I have dimensioned not just plans but details, worksheets, etc. I go back later, no dimensions. Then I redimension it thinking they're gone. I go back to it later, and now there is 2 sets of the same dimensions!
Thomas Holm
Booster
Could it be an unintentional shift of layer combinations? (I do it now and then - use project map or window menu to shift between views, instead of the view map)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
kevin b
Contributor
No, thought that might be it and tried turing all layers on to find them but they were not there temporarily.

Have to say, has not happened recently. Maybe fixed in last update???
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Learn and get certified!