BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Multiple layers of the same building material unable to display in Components Schedule

Victor C Pop
Contributor

I'm trying to create a schedule in Components, to list all required Composites and their components, with all their assigned required properties. So far so good.

The problem I'm having is when I have a Composite with two identical layers, for example a Dry Wall with two or more gypsum boards on each side, or doubled OSB layers on floors. It seems Archicad only displays one of the layers, and the thickness of only one of the layers. 

For example, I have a floor with two stacked OSB layers. In schedule, Archicad only displays one of them.

Am I missing something? 

Archicad 26 INT / Ryzen 3900x, 2080Ti, 64GB RAM / M1 MacBook Pro
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

Have you turned off the option to 'Merge Items' in the schedule settings?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:

Have you turned off the option to 'Merge Items' in the schedule settings?

Barry.

Of course I have, Barry, but thanks for the tip. After speaking to Archicad representatives in Romania, it appears this is yet another limitation of Archicad. Their suggestion was to create different materials (OSB#1, OSB#2) but this would result in a nightmare to manage. And my concern is when it comes to fire resistance dry walls, which require up to 3 layers of gypsum boards. Another option would be to add a 0 thickness layer between each layer, but this again would be a nightmare considering I have 30+ different types of walls. 

The same skins are listing separately for me even when they are doubled up on one side of the wall.

BarryKelly_0-1705147277053.png

If you want to see the doubled up layers as separate skins in plan, you can just adjust the skin separator line pen colour so you can see it.

BarryKelly_1-1705147557153.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

That's quite intriguing. It doesn't seem to appear that way on my end. Would you mind sending a screenshot of the actual schedule setup? Maybe I've missed something.

Thanks a lot!

@Barry Kelly wrote:

The same skins are listing separately for me even when they are doubled up on one side of the wall.

BarryKelly_0-1705147277053.png

If you want to see the doubled up layers as separate skins in plan, you can just adjust the skin separator line pen colour so you can see it.

BarryKelly_1-1705147557153.png

Barry.

I know why it isn't working, and my guess is that it won't work on your end as well.

If you draw more than one wall of the same type (same Composite) and don't tick on Merge Items, it will list all instances of the same Building Material used in all drawn Composites. For example, if you draw 2 identical walls, same Composite (let's say 2x gypsum board on each side and 1 layer of insulation and metal studs in the Core), with the same ID's, in the Schedule, under the given ID it will list 8x gypsum boards and 2x metal studs, since you've drawn two separate walls with identical ID's.

If you click Merge Items, it will only list all the Building Materials used only once, regardless of how many layers you have added to Composite itself.

Correct.

That is why your walls should have unique ID's and you should schedule the ID so you get unique values.

If the information you are listing is the same (i.e. the skin thickness), it will only list it once.

But if you are including the area of the wall surface or the number (quantity) of walls or the volume, you should find the figure will represent the correct value.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Barry,

This is, yet again, another typical Graphisoft / Archicad headache. Why would I have unique ID's for walls which fall under the same type/category as I described them? Doesn't that defeat de purpose of having a Unique ID property (who nobody ever really uses since the existence of ID)? It's just completely counterintuitive.

Schedules are just list of values for the fields you want to see.

There are descriptive fields (i.e. names, IDs) and numeric fields.

If the descriptive fields are the same for the elements you are listing, and you tick the 'merge' button, then those elements will merge to show just the one descriptive value and the numeric values will add together.

Don't merge and they will all list separately.

If you have multiple descriptive fields for each element, and just one of those descriptive fills is unique (different to the others), then they will not merge even with the merge button ticked.

So if you want to list the elements separately, there must be something unique in at least one field so they never merge.

A unique ID for each element is ideal for this.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!