BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF's not printing on Layout Sheets

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
i have placed a pdf 'drawing' onto a layout sheet, it looks fine.
Yet when i go to print nothing prints, even if i go to print as a pdf,
i get a blank page.

thanks in advance for the secret,
dean johnston

pc / windows xp pro v 2002
sp 3
4GB ram
dual intel Xeon 2.66
16 REPLIES 16
Thomas Holm
Booster
Archicad version?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
We've had this major problem too. It's actually to do with the process between ArchiCAD data output to print language translation before hardcopy print.
Best to avoid including .pdf's into your layouts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In archicad 10, if you have a rotated pdf on your layout, it wont print, not here on my Swedish ArchiCad 10, haven't tried on AC 11 / 12 though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working in Archicad 11 all updated
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dean wrote:
I'm working in Archicad 11 all updated
And the pdf isn't rotated?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought this was supposed to be better in version 12. It is worse than ever! I cannot put a pdf in a layout sheet, my plotter will just print a bit of the pdf and then cut the whole sheet, won't print any title block or anything else that i have on the sheet. I can take the same pdfs change them to tiff or jpg s which make the file much larger and not as clear but it will print and or plot. Much hate in my heart!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious, can you still save your problem drawings as .pdf?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dean/Charlee/Gary et al,

What are the specs of the printer you are sending it to? It sounds more like the printer is running out of memory and can't process the whole document.

We have an old HP 450C A1 printer in the office which is getting on for 12 years old which struggles with any large complex files sent to it. Anything with graphics on or a particularly complicated floorplan causes bits to not print properly and sometimes it just fails completely!

Thankfully there is an option in the printer set up that allows the print to be processed by the computer, and not the printer, which seems to solve the problem. Could there be a similar option for your machines, and does it make any difference?
Anonymous
Not applicable
We're running Xerox 510 A0 printers
The problem occurs less frequently now since the upgrade but still occasionally happens.
Processing print via computer works everytime but spool size and processing time is dramatically increased.
Better than having no drawing at all I suppose. 😃
I would still recommend avoiding including pdfs into ArchiCAD drawing layouts.
Learn and get certified!