BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Updating every view window - every time - ALL the time

sirduncan02
Participant

I'm looking for a setting to turn off the constant updates to all the view windows when working in the documentation side of things.  For example, I have a sheet where I simply have several standard residential details that I include in my standard set of house plans.  But every time I view that sheet, those detail windows are updating.  I haven't updated those details in years, so why does Archicad think it needs to update the views every single time?  Doesn't Archicad know there have been no changes to those windows?

Similarly, when I edit a section cut view by adding a simple 2D line, suddenly now every dang sheet and every window and every view and everything has to update!  It's driving me nuts and I can't find the correct setting to stop that.  Archicad should already know that I only added a 2d line to a section cut - why does it have to update the roof framing layout views and the default framing details?    Can anyone point me int he right direction?

Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Working in AC 26 5002 USA FULL.
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
Intel Core i9-10940x CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
64.0 GB Installed RAM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 video card.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ricardo Lopez
Advocate

Hi @sirduncan02 

You can check the manual update type by each drawing you need to be placed in your layouts.

2023-12-01 13_59_50-Drawing Selection Settings.png

If you check the Store Drawing in the Project file it could also help.

Finally, you can also check Model Rebulid Options in your Work Environment for 3D views if those are also making your system slow.

Regards. 

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Ricardo Lopez
Advocate

Hi @sirduncan02 

You can check the manual update type by each drawing you need to be placed in your layouts.

2023-12-01 13_59_50-Drawing Selection Settings.png

If you check the Store Drawing in the Project file it could also help.

Finally, you can also check Model Rebulid Options in your Work Environment for 3D views if those are also making your system slow.

Regards. 

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

Ricardo, thank you for that information.  I'll look into it for the details I never adjust.

But I still don't understand why Archicad must update a section cut if I only added 2D linework to the floorplan.  It's terribly unnecessary, gobbles resources, and more importantly - takes a ton of time during a day of work.  Isn't there some setting for this?  "Only update when there are changes"  Something like this?

I'm pretty sure it was like this in earlier versions (but I don't have the time to go back and test - I'm too busy waiting for my non-updated drawings to update for the umpteenth time today)

Anyone?

Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
64.0 GB Installed RAM

Here is another example of the constant and unnecessary updating of windows and views:

I'm finalizing the plans and open a Sheet/PDF from my organizer.  That sheet/pdf window is open on my screen.  It does its update of that screen (which I'm ok with since I'm outputting, I want to be sure it's the most current version), and then I use the 'Publish' button to output the PDF file.  Archicad then shows the 'Publishing' window while it outputs all the sheets into the PDF.  When it's done, I click the 'Close' button in that Publishing window.  This takes me back to the exact same Sheet/PDF that just updated only seconds ago - and No Other Changes have been made anywhere - but it has to do it's dumb update yet again!  Why?  Nothing has changed on the sheet - nothing has changed in the drawings, nothing has changed in the PDF output - Nothing has changed!  Why does it insist on updating * every * dang * time * !  And, of course, as soon as I switch to another totally unchanged view/sheet -it has to update as well.  3 to 5 seconds of updates for every view, every sheet, every time I switch views - and I'm easily into hours of wait time over the course of a project - all for what?  For the windows to update with no changes?  Shouldn't Archicad be keeping track of what has and has not been updated?

I just can't help but think there must be a setting for this somewhere.  It never used to update like this before I switched from 18 up to 23 (and now all the way to 26).

Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
64.0 GB Installed RAM
Learn and get certified!