BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimensions to core of walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't tried this before today but I am seeing more contractors that are not laying out to face of finish wall as we direct.

I selected 'dimension to core of composite walls' in the dimension tool, I using a composite wall with the interior framing designated as the core but it only dimensions to the exterior of the composite wall.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
if you choose either the left or right "construction" method you can off set the walls reference line by the the thickness of the finish materials thus moving the refeerence line to the face of the core material.

FWIW...contractors do "better" measuring to/from the face of the core.
__archiben
Booster
npacella wrote:
I haven't tried this before today but I am seeing more contractors that are not laying out to face of finish wall as we direct.

I selected 'dimension to core of composite walls' in the dimension tool, I using a composite wall with the interior framing designated as the core but it only dimensions to the exterior of the composite wall.
that sounds a bit confused to me. if you are laying out to finished face (bad practice!) of your wall you shouldn't be dimensioning to core only anyway? but since your dimensions are displaying the outer extents of the composite, this is in fact what you need isn't it?

if you do want core-only, make sure that 'Core' is unticked on the other composite skins . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben,

We are attempting to change the practice of dimensioning to face of finish walls to that of dimensioning to the structure or core.

I only have the core selected on the composite but it still does not dimension the core but to the exterior faces of the wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cary wrote:
if you choose either the left or right "construction" method you can off set the walls reference line by the the thickness of the finish materials thus moving the refeerence line to the face of the core material.

FWIW...contractors do "better" measuring to/from the face of the core.
Cary, I did that and it only allows me to dimension to one side of the core unless you can specify two reference line offsets.
__archiben
Booster
npacella wrote:
Cary wrote:
Cary, I did that and it only allows me to dimension to one side of the core unless you can specify two reference line offsets.
the reference line has nothing to do with dimensioning the core-only of a composite structure . . .

ensure that only the core skin of the composite is ticked in the composites settings dialogue (see screenshot below).

when dimensioning just hover over a wall edge until you get the mercedes cursor and click once. this will place two dimension nodes at each side of the wall - depending on how you have the dimension tool configured, these will either be to the outer face or the outer-most edges of the core skin(s).

HTH
~/archiben
dimCore.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Only if you dimension on an outside edge of a composite wall, will the dimension automatically select the core, as defined in the Composite's structure.

If you select an endpoint of the wall, that point itself will be specifically used as the dimension reference.

So make sure you're clicking on the edge of the wall. The position of the reference line has absolutely no relevance at all.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
hey I learned something...thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much. For some reason, I was not getting the Mercedes because I did everything else that you suggested. I will 'hover' and see what happens.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In following this post, I wanted to also direct those to this discussion

here about Dimension core of Composite wall in Section.

FYI
Learn and get certified!