Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Shift to a subscription model - your questions are welcome

Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear Community,

You may have already read the press release or the Insights post about our strategic shift to a subscription model. 

Here is a quick summary of the news:

BUDAPEST, April 2, 2024—Graphisoft, the leading Building Information Modeling (BIM) software solution developer for architecture and multidisciplinary design, today announced that, as part of its strategic shift to a sustainable subscription software delivery model, perpetual licenses will be gradually phased out by the end of 2025. This change does not affect the delivery of Software Service Agreement (SSA)/Forward subscription services to existing customers. 

Archicad perpetual and SSA/Forward licenses will be available for new customers through December 31, 2024, and to existing customers through December 31, 2025. Starting in 2026, Archicad will be available only through subscription. Active SSA/Forward contracts will continue to be serviced beyond 2025. Alternatively, SSA/Forward customers can convert to Archicad Collaborate subscriptions at the same price as SSA/Forward. This offer is designed to help existing SSA/Forward subscribers take full advantage of the Archicad Collaborate subscription, which combines award-winning Archicad for architectural design with BIMx and BIMcloud SaaS for fast, efficient, secure, real-time access to shared projects.

Please ask your questions and share your thoughts here -- Graphisoft's expert team will try and provide answer to all sorts of questions you may have!
Thank you.
----------------------

Edit by Moderator:  here is the link to the evolving information/FAQ page about this announcement:

https://graphisoft.com/convert-ssa-forward-to-archicad-collaborate/

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft

323 REPLIES 323

@mthd wrote:

I cant afford to pay a three year subscription fee in advance and many others may be in the same boat.

You don't have to.

You can keep your current SSA/Forward and remain exactly as you are now.

Or you can switch to subscription and the 3 year offer is to have the subscription fee remain the same as the SSA/Forward fees (subscription is more expensive).

If you can't afford the 3 year fee up front, you can pay yearly, with an additional 10% fee on top - still cheaper than subscription on its own.

So you have to way up if the benefits of moving to subscription are worth it, if you already own a perpetual license.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes I understand that. But I am hoping that the so called “perpetual” license holder will not be forced into turning in their licenses and only have a subscription path to follow. That would spell the end for many users in a similar predicament as me. I would have to asses my available options at the time if that actually happens in the future. I should hope not. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
DGSketcher
Legend

As the last man on earth sat surrounded by gold, he contemplated the impact of his greed on the world. He finally realised his riches were worthless. He had lost his way, there was no one left to appreciate his deluded reputation or help him through his dark days of loneliness. There were no customers left, they had long ago succumbed to either poverty or global warming. He had to finally accept he had traded his happiness for the false value of a balance sheet and had lost everything.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Mjules
Mentor

My needs are only limited to ArchiCAD + SSA/forward. I don't have any other special needs for collaboration since all my colleagues at work use Revit, and ArchiCAD does not allow effective collaboration even with Nemetschek group software. Therefore, I don't have to pay for services, which I don't need. That would simply be madness:

Mjules_1-1712577829310.png

Furthermore, it's not about aligning with market standards, but rather about choosing to do what others are doing in the wrong direction: 

Mjules_2-1712578684494.png

You can imagine that, in Canada, there are still many places which do not benefit from adequate internet services because they require major infrastructure investments in the field of telecommunications. I travel a lot to these suburban areas. Sometimes, I spend from 2 to 4 weeks working full-time there, as part of my job. What would I do if I only had to work with a software that would also require an internet connection? In some of these areas, it would be possible to get a special internet service via an iPad for example. Would it be possible to work using ArchiCAD on an iPad?

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
mhoude
Booster

ok I think we will have to make some changes 😞      We are not a big firm but imagine big firm and we are close to a recession and the end of the month are coming fast for everyone.

we have 5 licenses at 292 + 15% tax = 336$ a month for one so 1680$ a month for 5

1680.00$x12= 20160.00$  and there no computer price with that. 

DGSketcher
Legend

I just got my SSA-Forward renewal. I've seen a 22% increase in the last two years on my SSA even though UK inflation is nowhere near that figure. The prospect of paying double** with a 10% discount to go on subscription to do the same as I am now isn't happening any time soon. AC is a crumbling mess of badly maintained complexity and poor development decisions that have adversely affected my workflow, even with a more appropriate price point I'm not sure there would have been a future business prospect. The clock has stopped ticking...  ☠️

** Based on the shambles of information currently available.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 15.13.30.png

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

ArchiCAD is a great BIM software, but the main problem of ArchiCAD is Graphisoft.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)

It WAS great until about five years ago.

Unfortunately, the software has fallen into the hands of directors, officers, managers, and employees who do not even know what tools to develop under the generally accepted architectural process in order to help architects and designers in their practice.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)

"Perpetual fallback option at initial terms" - as it never happened 🤔 There is something seriously wrong with how GS and local distributors (?) give out information - that list seems like talking points from sales/marketing rather than information for costumers. It should not be this hard to put together a proper information packet for this. It's quite simple: SSA fees are expected to increase year over year here is a deal where you give up any rights and leverage you currently have for a false sense of security (and please pay upfront to keep us afloat through the transition). But for some reason GS seems hesitant to tell it like it is...

Aside from the unanswered technical questions in this thread, which are material to a decision, they could have made this a lot simpler.

They know how many licenses we have, so... "Here's your SSA-Forward renewal cost, but you can take advantage of AC Collaborate for $$$$ [enter appropriate cost] or if you give us loads of money to cover the next 3 years you can have Collaborate for $$$$$. P.S. You can keep your perpetual licence, but we are phasing out SSA-Forward renewals in three years".

I honestly think the misinformation is here to confuse users as Graphisoft are frightened of putting the numbers in black & white because they know the likely reaction if it is made clear.

Comparing it to the FAQ released by Allplan for their conversion (available by google search) is like night and day. Allplan presents a simple offer that gives a 2-year price freeze on a 1+1 year contract with 3 months notice for giving up the perpetual right of usage (no fallback). At the same time they clearly state that the SSA cost is expected to increase year over year and that future improvements to some standalone products (management/collaboration) now available for perpetual licence will be limited to subscription and while they consider the offer to be a significant economic advantage to many costumers - existing contracts will remain unaffected.  They managed to present this in one PDF from which I - not even being a Allplan costumer - can get a clear picture of the situation. Perhaps there is some difference in the licencing model of which I'm ignorant but I can't really see any reason for this GS mess.

This has echoes of that whole 'Publication of a Public Roadmap' saga, written all over it.

We all remember how it was like pulling teeth getting them to publish some semblance of a useful, informative Roadmap somewhat in keeping with what is now effectively the Industry standard in customer interaction.

And also how stark in difference between that joke of a first draft RoadMap they threw out, particularly in comparison to what was already available and public from their Nemetschek "sister" companies in Allplan and Vectorworks Roadmaps that were (And still remain) Lightyears ahead of what they were supposedly giving us.

I even remember some of us practically BEGGING them to just copy whatever template the Vectorworks folks were using and just replace "Vectorworks" references with "ArchiCAD" references instead, and in lieu of reinventing the wheel from scratch if it was too much work to do one from the ground up on their end.

Now we're right back here again and they can't even seem to handle this shift to 'Subscription-only' as smoothly as those other guys seem to have done on their ends.

It's like they live on an entirely other planet completely.

It shouldnt be that difficult, but confusing language today allows for denial of responsibility later.   

Eduardo Rolon

I still don't get the decision to remove SSA as an option since the main conceptual difference is that with subscription if you stop paying you lose access to the software and with SSA if you stop paying you get to keep the last version you paid for.

If the issue are the users that upgrade their SSA every 4-5 years then just add a price that adds more $$$$ for those users for the next time that they upgrade.

Right now they are penalising their most loyal users, the ones that keep their SSA current and that have paid upfront for the specific licenses and this is not the most intelligent thing to do.

My ideal scenario:

1. Keep SSA for those user that upgrade yearly.
    1. The subscription option that has the benefit of keeping the last version running.
    2. You can charge more for this yearly than switching to subscription.
  2. 3 version old users that want to get back on SSA should pay 2-3X the yearly subscription.
  3. Subscription users can pay $$$ extra to keep their current subscribed version as permanent, the retiring from practice option. This permanent version is not upgradable.
  4. There should be pricing options for AC only and AC+BimCloud and you can add or remove BC as necessary.

-----

There are 2 easy to understand advantages/difference in AC, it runs in macOS and you can buy permanent options. Removing either one will make users either go to Revit (the "standard") or go to VW (cheaper and macOS compatible).

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Have you considered VW may be part of the strategy? Or maybe I'm giving GS too much credit on the intelligence front...

"Sorry, but AC with BIMcloud is for the big earners, the rest of you can go find an alternative. Oh by the way, on your way out have a look at VW!"

VW could offer a transfer deal and from the Nemetschek shareholder's perspective they would retain their customer head count. You would still need your perpetual AC licence though if you wanted to access your old files.

I don't think they are playing 3dmentional chess…

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Just a clarification as I understand it.

Existing perpetual license owners are not being forced to change to subscription.

They can carry on paying the SSA/Forward fees into the future and as I understand it there is no time limit.

Yes, the fees for SSA/Forward will probably increase each year, but probably subscription fees will increase also.

SSA/Forward should remain cheaper than subscription seeing we already have paid for the software - I do not know if this will be the case, but I am assuming so.

There is an offer to change to subscription (with a 3 year same as SSA price that must be accepted by the end of this year to get the fixed price).

But this is only worth it if you want to have the additional BIMCloud licensing, or maybe you already have BIMCloud that you are paying additional license fees for.

Again my understanding is, if you accept this subscription, but then decide to stop it, you will still have your perpetual Archicad license - unclear what version this will be though.

Only from the end of this year, will it not be possible to by a new perpetual license.

Unless you already own one, and then you will have until the end of 2025.

After that there will be no more perpetual licenses for anyone.

I agree that there should be 2 subscription levels.

One that includes BIMCloud and one that doesn't.

Why pay for BIMCloud licenses that will not be needed - some of us don't need to use it.

And now the legal disclaimer.

This is just my understanding of what has been said by Graphisoft so far.

I am yet to confirm with my local distributor, because the offer is not yet in place in Australia.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rm
Advisor

I believe it’s naive to think GS is going to take the comments of a few very concerned users here on this forum about this topic. Me and perhaps some of you are small 1 - 3 person practices. Though GS was built by this loyal base up to the late 1990’s, GS now caters to the big firms and their needs.

If you wish to be heard, I would suggest posting calm, well reasoned concerns on LinkedIn. This is where a much broader architectural community will read these messages. I believe it would force a response - good or bad - from GS.

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

@rm wrote:

I believe it’s naive to think GS is going to take the comments of a few very concerned users here on this forum about this topic. Me and perhaps some of you are small 1 - 3 person practices. Though GS was built by this loyal base up to the late 1990’s, GS now caters to the big firms and their needs.

If you wish to be heard, I would suggest posting calm, well reasoned concerns on LinkedIn. This is where a much broader architectural community will read these messages. I believe it would force a response - good or bad - from GS.

Why post this thread then if they really feel that way about us and our concerns, and why bother presenting the opportunity to ask questions and present yourself as available to address them?

And by the way, I'm not saying you're wrong at all.

Quite the opposite.

You're almost certainly absolutely correct in that assessment if any of our dealings with Graphisoft over the  last 2 decades plus with them has taught us where their priorities now lie nowadays.

I'm just amazed at the cynicism on their part. in choosing to do so, knowing well they don't really intend nor care to address anything or engage in any form.

The only part I differ with you is in the belief that expressing any concerns in any other manner elsewhere, like on LinkedIn or some other forum is likely to be any more effective.

We now know that even the much vaunted "Insiders" user groups, the (originally) closed Beta-Testing groups and the "Key Client"-type gatherings where likewise pretty ineffective and ineffectual in ever getting them to hear things from the customer side and our point of view, so what difference would another forum and another tone of expression make?

The decision for this shift was already set in stone way prior to this announcement.

Everything else is just padding to soften the landing.

It's just a question of, "for whom?"

It doesn't seem to be for us.

Once upon a time, not that long long ago, we were assured that Graphisoft do indeed read user concerns and questions on this forum - even though it might not be directly but through a collated form, and  even though they may not respond to them in real time or otherwise......or at all...... (......sort of like we used to be taught how God hears prayers in in sunday school at church growing up. Fitting really, if you think about it).

So if those oldheads were not lying to us, then Graphisoft have read each and every one of these comments, and their silence should be answer enough for anyone still concerned.

The logic for posting elsewhere, ie LinkedIn, potential new ArchiCAD clients are likely to be reading about the competition as well. The last thing GS needs right now, giving they recently ousted Huw Roberts, is a sentiment that GS is not listening to its loyal long term clients.

But a bigger picture point, how can they continue with year over year increases of over 20% for SSA members when that exceeds cost of living increases 3-5x depending on your location. That to me is one of the most important issue here.

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26