BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.
SOLVED!

.pla instead of .pln when archiving

MMS
Participant

Hi, 

Is there any downside in archiving only .pla (instead of .pln?)

We are looking for an alternative that takes less space but that can still work properly if we need to "revive" the project. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
scottjm
Advisor

Our office standard is to archive a PLN and a PLA.

Given all the libraries are embedded into the PLA I find reviving a PLA a bit more complicated as you have to mess around the libraries. Working in a PLA should only be a last resort or a temporary measure.  Also give a PLA only embeds the used objects. You don’t get a complete copy of the original libraries. 

If you are archiving your libraries separately a PLN should be adequate, but I figure having the PLA as an extra last resort in the event the original libraries are archived. 

other than the libraries I don’t believe there is an difference, maybe some additional compression. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
runxel
Legend

I think you don't understand archiving then...

If it's supposed to work, it might be a bit bigger in the end, so what. But seriously, how is that an issue in modern times with Terabytes costing a dime?

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Ricardo Lopez
Advocate

@MMS I totally agree with @runxel

Anyway Archicad allows to migrate libraries from quite many versions back, so it sould not be a great deal to keep on saving those .pln files it you prefer them.

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000
Solution
scottjm
Advisor

Our office standard is to archive a PLN and a PLA.

Given all the libraries are embedded into the PLA I find reviving a PLA a bit more complicated as you have to mess around the libraries. Working in a PLA should only be a last resort or a temporary measure.  Also give a PLA only embeds the used objects. You don’t get a complete copy of the original libraries. 

If you are archiving your libraries separately a PLN should be adequate, but I figure having the PLA as an extra last resort in the event the original libraries are archived. 

other than the libraries I don’t believe there is an difference, maybe some additional compression. 

Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS

Thank you Scott! Now I get the difference and it makes it much easy to decide. 🙂 

Lingwisyer
Guru

The AC9-23 base libraries only come to 7GB.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

😂😂

Learn and get certified!