BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Archicad options for solo business

RH_AC
Participant

Hi, I’m really at a loss as to what to do - are there really no options for small business (one person) to work on Archicad? I may only get one or two jobs a month - that won’t cover the monthly subscription. Is there something I’m missing or is Graphisoft purposely driving out people trying to start up? 

6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon

Check here

https://graphisoft.com/us/buy-now

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thank you - but it just takes me to the page I was referring to. As a solo business starting out, there is no way I can pay those costs - particularly annual cost up front. 

I have no idea of your countries tax laws, but I think most will allow the cost of software and equipment to be deductible from the companies income?

The initial cost of setting up a business is just a part of setting up that business.

If you can not produce enough work to to make the business profitable, why would you want to start it?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I think that’s a pretty narrow view of a sole proprietor trying to start a business - and hoping it will be eventually profitable. I spent a long time training on a program that I don’t have $10k to throw at, particularly with the current cost of living. I’m sure I’m not the only person in this predicament. I’d be quite happy to pay-per-use (not available here) with the intention of buying a longer license down the track.  

There are costs associated with starting any business, and software is just one of them.

You should be able to purchase a monthly license, but of course you will pay more for that over the course of a year.

But it might be a more manageable cost in monthly instalments.

They should also have an annual subscription that won't be as much as the 10K you mentioned.

But be aware if you take out a monthly or annual subscription, you will not own the software.

Stop paying and you will no longer be able to use it.

Purchasing outright may or may not be possible in your region.

Graphisoft I think are leaning towards the subscription licensing.

Certainly when you purchase on-line.

But have a chat with your local Archicad distributor to see what deals they can propose.

https://graphisoft.com/contact-us#where-to-buy

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I get you man.  In our country we have the same issue. For some perspective and sensitization: the licence here costs about the same as if you were in Europe, Japan or the USA, in US Dlls price of course. The little inconvenience here is that if you divide the cost of the license in 12 payments, the resulting monthly payment is still higher than what many professionals here, specially younger ones, make in the whole month. Talk about affordability.  

The monthly archicad rental comes at a better price; but, in a place where instability is a constant, people at least want to know that any penny paid leads them closer to ownership, even if it takes five years and end up paying more. 

I have tried to explain this multiple times to local resellers:  People, who otherwise would not be able to buy this software, would gladly pay for five or six years with lower monthly payments if at the end they get a perpetual license, even at the risk of failling to pay and lose everything (i also proposed the idea of a grace period in case works comes to a halt).  I'll let you guess if they cared.

At the end, having more people up and running means more people paying, no matter if we are solo practices or small teams.

Learn and get certified!