BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC27 Crashes When Uploading Some Files to BIMcloud as a Service

fabioferrini
Enthusiast

Good morning,

AC27 is encountering issues with some files created in AC26 when attempting to upload them to BIMcloud as a service. At the end of the upload process, we receive a network connection error message, and Archicad crashes. Bug report ID (AC27-2023-10-11-07-36-54-2411). This happens both when migrating from AC26 to AC27 via BIMcloud, after preparing the project for migration, and when opening a single AC26 file in Archicad 27 and then attempting to upload it.

If someone at Graphisoft could kindly help us resolve this issue, I can provide a Dropbox link where you can download the problematic file. Thank you very much for your attention.

Fabio Ferrini

16 REPLIES 16
4dProof
Advisor

yeah, crashes have been a normal Archicad workflow for me for at least 4 years now. Used to be I could count on one every month or two. Now it's weekly, if not daily.
I'd love to have a comprehensive list of all the causes of AC crashes; but its often mundane stuff... "I zoomed in" or "I attempted to open a file in a new instance" or "I was printing to PDF"

thankfully there is a reasonably reliable crash recovery system. Unfortunately, the only way to rely on it is to close all instances of AC. THAT would be the improvement we need. The ability to open a recovery file from the file > open > recent list, rather than from the AC opening splash dialog

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
space agent
Participant

We have the same issue with roughly half of our AC26 projects. Some migrate to AC27 BIMcloud without problems, others crash.

Any solutions to this yet?

Tobias

I have had success migrating a couple of projects that were crashing using the following method:

1. Save AC26 BIMcloud project as solo AC26
2. Open in AC27, save as 27, close
3. Reopen using ‘repair’ option
4. Detach all libraries
5. Upload to BIMcloud 27
6. Reattach libraries.

Not sure if steps 2 and 3 are necessary.
This seems to work, but every time someone joins the project for the first time, we have to detach the libraries again, send and receive, wait for that person to download the project to their computer, then reattach the libraries.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tobias, 

I wrote to my local dealer who opened a ticket with Graphisoft. The issue is related to some complex custom profiles. In my case, it involves two hatches that overlap; deleting the overlapping part and saving the profile again resolves the problem. It's a known issue that will be fixed soon. I'm attaching their response for your reference:
From the file we were able to determine the issue.
It is caused by a known bug called [DEF-15847]. We plan to fix it by ArchiCAD 27.1.1
Until this bug is fixed, the best I can suggest to the users is to delete the inappropriate profiles,
profile attribute indicies:
113, 114, 115, 116, 150, 151, 157
The plan can be shared after these profiles deleted.

Based on your method with dethatching libraries, I managed to narrow the issue to Archicad Library 27.lcf. Without it attached (and all other libraries I have in my server attached, including Surface Library 27) the project loads as expected.

I tend to think it's something related to a specific object (or objects) since the issue happens just with some projects (so maybe those that don’t have that object placed aren’t affected).

But I need to do some more testing – I have a project with multiple hotlinks and those also need to be migrated – I steel have objects from Archicad Library 26 that need to be migrated.

Speculation:

One potential issue might be related to the MEP objects coming from Archicad Library. I have for example an object Rectangular Floor Drain 26 that calls a missing macro. I know there were a lot of changes in the MEP part so those may be the cause. But I need to delete them first and see what I get.

Victor Baboi
TESSERACT ARCHITECTURE
AC 16-27 | WIN 11

Seems to work. Thanks!

Michel Janssens,
Project Architect, BIM Manager
a2o-architecten
https://www.a2o-architecten.be

ArchiCAD 8-27 NED FULL KME
Macbook M1 PRO
Ebatte
Booster

WTH? This bug is still present. I waited all this time to start migrating projects and I run into this in 3 months later?

@space agent your workaround does seem to work, but wow. How is it that everyone is not up in arms about this?

For what its worth, I do not have any complex profiles with the index numbers listed by @fabioferrini, so that specifically isn't the problem.

@Victor Baboi were you able to conduct further testing to isolate the offending library part(s)?

Eric Batte
Principal, MG Architects
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB
AC 6.5-27

I'm happy to see this thread and so upset that I had not seen this before. I've spent the better part of three days trying to fix and share a huge project. So far the workaround solution seems to work. Thanks everyone.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1

Hi Ebatte,

The issue arises if you have two overlapping hatch patterns when using complex profiles. In my case, the profiles that had this problem were precisely those mentioned in the post, namely 113, 114, 115, 116, 150, 151, 157, which I promptly deleted. Clearly, these IDs referred exclusively to my profiles! 

Fabio

Learn and get certified!