BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 27 extremely poor performance??

TDabney
Enthusiast

Hello,

I downloaded and installed ArchiCAD 27 yesterday and started my first project w/it today (been using ArchiCAD since v6.0). I started with a clean AC27 template file and imported pen sets, layers etc... from an AC26 project via Attribute Manager. The project is so far, is limited to 2D civil survey information that I copy pasted onto a story. I'm finding the basic performance inside AC27 to be so bad, it's unusable - panning, zooming, basic editing, adding dimensions etc... every mouse movement and click has a patience-testing long delay. There HAS to be something I've done to make it this way, I CAN NOT imagine that Graphisoft released AC27 knowing the performance was this slow. 

What can I do to reset or troubleshoot this? I've quit and restarted ArchiCAD a few times and it's not better. There HAS to be something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know what it might be...

I don't know if my signature lists my hardware and if it does, it's probably outdated since I haven't posted here in a long while. I have a 16" MacBook Pro w/Apple M1 Max chip, 64GB Ram, macOS Monterey v12.7 and a 27" LG HDR 4K external monitor.

Thanks,

Tom

TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
13 REPLIES 13
mthd
Ace

Hi Tom, I guess that you have downloaded the Apple silicon version of AC27 ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
TDabney
Enthusiast

Yes, working with the silicon version of AC27.

After posting yesterday, I saved the file as an AC26 file from w/in AC27 so I could try to continue working in it in AC26. Interestingly, it was just as slow in AC26 as it was in AC27... I don't really know how to unravel that or what to try next...

TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Laurentiu C
Booster

I'm not much of a Mac guy, but maybe updating to MacOS 13 or 14 would help?

Laurentiu | Architect | exstudio
AC 17-27 INT
Work | Laptop | HP ZBook Fury 15.6 G8 | Win11 22H2 | i9-11900H / RTX A4000 / 32GB
Personal | PC | Win10 | i7-6700K / GTX 1070 / 32 GB

Hi Laurentiu,

Upgrading to MacOS 13 or 14 could help for sure... maybe I'll give that a try this weekend.

Thanks,

Tom

TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
joelsdg
Enthusiast

I've been experiencing incredibly frustrating performance issues since AC26. AC27 is not any better.  As you can see in my signature, I have a 2019 16" MacBook Pro with the last Intel processor Apple used. If I use an external monitor, the performance decreases further.

I'm disappointed to hear people with Apple Silicon are having these same issues, I thought it was possibly just the Intel machines.

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9

Hi Tom,

macOS 13 safe... but read the GS article on 14/Sonoma before doing that... as Graphisoft says that AC 23 and earlier will not even launch under Sonoma... just in case you've got old projects that need an old version.

I've not seen any slowness on my M2 Max Macbook Pro under Ventura/13 - so would suggest starting something new from the template and just model some random stuff to see how it behaves.  Might well be some bug exposed by whatever you imported?  Of course, GSNA tech support is standing by to help you with the specific file...

Karl

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
mthd
Ace

Just letting you guys know that my performance is now better than AC24 with the newer AC26 Apple silicon version on my Apple Mac Studio machine. I have a fairly old template file that has been updated many times and versions ago. Hope you are able to find the cause ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
ricki-fritz
Booster

Not sure if you've resolved your issue, but the first culprit for display issues often stems from not having the latest Graphics drivers 

Graphisoft Certified ArchiCAD BIM Manager

ArchiCAD 27

Windows 11
joelsdg
Enthusiast

I may or may not be versed in all things technical, but having been on the MacOS for over 2 decades I don't think I've had the ability to update the drivers for my graphics cards for quite some time.  When I used a tower (the Power Mac G4 was the last one, I think) I might have had the ability to upgrade the graphics card drivers because it was a separate card, but I don't recall.  

Either way, I hope this isn't the cause of my problem. I do believe that any updates of the graphics kind are handled with OS updates from Apple.

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
Learn and get certified!