BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

How can I control window insulation strip thickness?

Rastko Pecar
Booster

Hello,

Ive noticed Archicad windows have the "Insulations strip" option located in the Wall closure menu by which you can insulate the surfaces that are formed by making an opening into the boundary walls. You can control the material of the insulation, the width of the strip but I cannot find a way to control the thickness of the insualtion board. Does anyone know how to do this?

insulation strip.png

A side question: How do you call these surfaces in the window opening in english? The best I can find is "jamb" but I think that only refers to stick-frame construction and not solid (masonry) that is most common in my region. Furthermore, I think "jamb" only refers to the two vertical supports on the sides of the window. Sometimes I also find examples where "jamb" refers to the window frame, not to the opening or the wall. Does anyone know how to call these surfaces that constitute an opening for doors/windows in walls?

Thank you!

Thanks!

Operating system used: Windows 10,0,22631 build 22631

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hi,

Jamb is the general term which refers to the inside surface created by the window or door opening at the sides. the top is generally referred to as the head and the bottom as the cill, or sill. Reveal is also another general terms used for the entire surround created around a window or door opening.

With regards to your first question, I believe the width of the insulation strip will match the width of the part of the composite which turns in to the window. The thickness is determined by the input in the box which is currently shown as '250.0' in your image example. You can use the 'Prefabricated' option which will fill the entire width of the part of the composite which is identified at the cavity and the thickness of how far this projects in to the cavity can be set.

Hope that helps.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution

Hi,

Jamb is the general term which refers to the inside surface created by the window or door opening at the sides. the top is generally referred to as the head and the bottom as the cill, or sill. Reveal is also another general terms used for the entire surround created around a window or door opening.

With regards to your first question, I believe the width of the insulation strip will match the width of the part of the composite which turns in to the window. The thickness is determined by the input in the box which is currently shown as '250.0' in your image example. You can use the 'Prefabricated' option which will fill the entire width of the part of the composite which is identified at the cavity and the thickness of how far this projects in to the cavity can be set.

Hope that helps.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
Rastko Pecar
Booster

OK, "reveal" was the term I was looking for, thanks.

Yes, Ive noticed too, that the thickness of the insulation strip follows the thickness of plaster defined in the composite. Will look into "prefabricated" and other reveal options.

Thank you and best regards

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!