BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.
SOLVED!

Serial number and container code

yahavsa
Contributor

Hello.

Does a physical license (USB) have a container code (configuration number)? I also wanted to ask what is the difference between serial number and container code. I saw that a network license contains both a serial number and a container code, while a physical license only contains a container code.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MinhNguyen
Advocate

To answer your question in layman's terms, the difference between the numbering of HW key (USB dongle) and SW key (download from the license pool) is that: the HW keys come with a code that will not change and is visible everywhere you look (in Codemeter Control Center or in License Manager Tool). The HW key’s number format starts with 2-… or 3-…, followed by 7 digits. For example: 3-1234567

For the SW keys, you will have 2 unique numbers: the Key ID, which starts with SW…, followed by 10 digits. For example: SW0000012345When we download a SW key, a container is created in the machine with a unique identifier (called Key Serial, and its format is 128-xxxxxxxx). Each time the key is downloaded to the machine, this unique identifier will change.

This will apply to the current Codemeter licenses. There's a new cloud-based license model that is available from AC27, which should be totally different from what I explained above.

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Solution
MinhNguyen
Advocate

To answer your question in layman's terms, the difference between the numbering of HW key (USB dongle) and SW key (download from the license pool) is that: the HW keys come with a code that will not change and is visible everywhere you look (in Codemeter Control Center or in License Manager Tool). The HW key’s number format starts with 2-… or 3-…, followed by 7 digits. For example: 3-1234567

For the SW keys, you will have 2 unique numbers: the Key ID, which starts with SW…, followed by 10 digits. For example: SW0000012345When we download a SW key, a container is created in the machine with a unique identifier (called Key Serial, and its format is 128-xxxxxxxx). Each time the key is downloaded to the machine, this unique identifier will change.

This will apply to the current Codemeter licenses. There's a new cloud-based license model that is available from AC27, which should be totally different from what I explained above.

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

Learn and get certified!