BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCad-REVIT-State Governments

Anonymous
Not applicable
As you may know various state governments are beginning to require BIM. Texas now requires BIM plus REVIT. Texas does not want projects in any other platform, and it is not necessarily easy to convert ArchiCad to REVIT (REVIT Architecture) and accurately maintain the intelligent data. As goes Texas so may go other states and the Federal government - VA/GSA/HUD/Coast Guard/Army Corps of Engineers, etc. Note that Wisconsin accepts ArchiCad.

Graphisoft needs to work with various state governments and the Federal government to encourage them to accept ArchiCad.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not all bad news...

The US Army Corps of Engineers is in the process of switching from requiring Microstation to the open COBIE standards. These are strongly favorable to IFC and seem to be very committed to open standards.

The Coast Guard has been using ArchiCAD for quite some time.

The GSA has selected five BIM teams including a strong representation of ArchiCAD users.

Texas may be an anomaly (it usually is), but of course it is a major state and the Revit requirement sets a bad example.

It is clear though that GS really needs to address the issue of meeting official submittal requirements or even devoted users may be forced to abandon the program if they can't submit their designs for approval.

The situation in Portugal is particularly worrying. It seems that it is easily fixed since DWF is an open and documented standard, but it isn't clear yet if GS is taking this seriously.
Matthew wrote:
It's not all bad news...

The US Army Corps of Engineers is in the process of switching from requiring Microstation to the open COBIE standards. These are strongly favorable to IFC and seem to be very committed to open standards.

The Coast Guard has been using ArchiCAD for quite some time.

The GSA has selected five BIM teams including a strong representation of ArchiCAD users.

Texas may be an anomaly (it usually is), but of course it is a major state and the Revit requirement sets a bad example.

It is clear though that GS really needs to address the issue of meeting official submittal requirements or even devoted users may be forced to abandon the program if they can't submit their designs for approval.

The situation in Portugal is particularly worrying. It seems that it is easily fixed since DWF is an open and documented standard, but it isn't clear yet if GS is taking this seriously.

The GSA has always seemingly been ArchiCAD/IFC friendly and definitely more software neutral if not leaning towards open standards. Ditto the Military.

I think Autodesk realize this, as well as the dead-end of trying to make the US-GSA and by default the US government, a major and exclusive Autodesk client (Conflicts of interest, constitutional regulations, lobbying and all that), and thus their marketing strategy seems to be aimed at the States and at state-level, and specifically the larger States in making them believe and thus adopt Autodesk products and 'BIM' principles as Industry defaults.

I think it begins to become a problem when some of the other larger states (California, Florida, NY, Mass. etc) begin adopting Autodesk and Revit as exclusive BIM submission formats for state government projects, first and then for other projects in general. Other states are sure to follow.

I'm not sure what leverage Graphisoft has, or would have in terms of reversing or arresting this trend - or what Will, for that matter.

Beyond putting out a better (more superior) product and having a more concerted marketing effort and certainly more pronounced presence in the North American AEC scene, beyond free licenses for students.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Albeit some the-sky-is-falling alleged Portuguese architects that have been posting here, the DWF format is only asked on some towns.

Not wanting to excuse GS for not having provided a quick solution (I know they are working on it, but we are after all a small market), the solution is quite simple: Bootcamp, Windows, DWF converter.

Bootcamp is free, Windows is a must if you are serious about your work (there are so many programs that only run on windows, even with ArchiCAD), and the DWF is also free.

Not a major investment, and certainly not in the same league as demanding Revit models. That would, at the present state of the art, simply trash ArchiCAD.
ternullomelo
Newcomer
Dear Krippahl,
Albeit some the-sky-is-falling alleged Portuguese architects that have been posting here, the DWF format is only asked on some towns.
By some towns you mean Lisbon (amongst others), which is only the largest city in Portugal and the third in the iberian peninsula... therefore a huge market for architects (even if it is small for GS).
Not wanting to excuse GS for not having provided a quick solution
But by accepting this workaround you're doing so. The only reason we post here is to let know GS that they have to improve ArchiCAD. Otherwise it seems that everything is fine.
... Windows is a must if you are serious about your work (there are so many programs that only run on windows, even with ArchiCAD)...
Being a Mac user for almost 20 years now i never felt the need to use windows (besides games and some other not so interesting CAD software).
Not a major investment...
I would have to disagree, windows doesn't come for free and besides using it for DWF conversion purposes, it would be pointless.

Also i would suggest you read those municipalities DWF requirements... probably you would need to add that other CAD software (which by the way is ridiculously expensive).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TERNULLOMELO ARCHITECTS

Estaleiro Naval Rocha do Conde de Óbidos 1399-036 Lisboa Portugal

T 00 351 21 391 59 98
F 00 351 21 391 59 97

www.ternullomelo.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Not a major investment, and certainly not in the same league as demanding Revit models. That would, at the present state of the art, simply trash ArchiCAD.
Not exactly.
Autodesk hasn't done it's homework properly.
The local code states that the required DWF format must have a internal layer organization. And Revit only uses layers for DWG export.
So, instead of a 1 click export command, Revit users have to export it's sheets in the model to Autocad (or compatible) and then convert all the files to DWF.
And that's not the perfect workflow.
Anonymous
Not applicable
feio49 wrote:
So, instead of a 1 click export command, Revit users have to export it's sheets in the model to Autocad (or compatible) and then convert all the files to DWF.
Depends. If you are in the 2D software selling business, it is more than perfect 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
feio49 wrote:
Krippahl wrote:
Not exactly.
Autodesk hasn't done it's homework properly.
The local code states that the required DWF format must have a internal layer organization. And Revit only uses layers for DWG export.
Hi.

As you can see in this example, there is no idea of giving Autodesk a favored position in the market. Nor any business connection to Autodesk. Revit users have the same troubles as ArchiCAD users do.
I personally assisted Graphisoft in making ArchiCAD compliant with the new regulations by providing detailed DWF specification to Infor in Portugal. As far as I know Graphisoft implemented those in ArchiCAD V12. This can make ArchiCAD users more suited to comply than Revit users.
Believe me, the idea has nothing to do with Autodesk's business. It is an honest step that will surely accommodate BIM in the future.
DWF simply is the best format for this purpose.

By the way, I am the guy responsible for current DWF mandatory usage in Portugal.
Henrique Saias
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to hear from you Henrique, and thanks for your clarification.

While we are on the subject, can you tell us if there is some work being done in Portugal to implement BIM mandatory usage? The DWF sure was a bold step, but it falls short of realizing the whole digital potential, and seems to be at least a decade behind (better late than never, but why not aim higher?)

And if so, who is involved?

Thanks a lot
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Good to hear from you Henrique, and thanks for your clarification.

While we are on the subject, can you tell us if there is some work being done in Portugal to implement BIM mandatory usage? The DWF sure was a bold step, but it falls short of realizing the whole digital potential, and seems to be at least a decade behind (better late than never, but why not aim higher?)

And if so, who is involved?

Thanks a lot
I'm not so sure about being a decade behind. Switching to all digital submission is ahead of most jurisdictions, and from what I've seen the states and agencies that are requiring BIM don't know what that means yet (I don't think anyone really does) which may just mean they are getting ten years ahead of themselves.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!