BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Constant crashes with ArchiCAD 14. Unable to open recovered.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've recently completed a large project (University) and I was just about ready to export the drawings when ArchiCAD decided to crash upon me saving the project.

Ever since it crashed, I see the Project recovery, however I cannot open it. Firstly the library will load, then I get the "not enough memory", to which I click "OK". Shortly after the message I get the beach ball (Mac), then ArchiCAD crashes again.

I've tried opening the backup plan but the same occurs. I have however been able to open the file, on windows which runs Archicad 64 bit. The problem is that all the library parts are missing (and it will take literally hours to move them over, including OBJECTiVE profiles)

Is there anyway to open the file on my Mac using project recovery?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
Have you tried just re-saving the file on the Windows machine - maybe with a new name?
And then try opening that on the Mac - maybe it will reset whatever is causing the problem.

I have never used a Mac but I thought the files and library parts were all multi-platform.
Shouldn't it be just a case of copying the PLN and library/s over to the Windows machine and then telling the PLN where to find the libraries?
That shouldn't take very long or is there something I don't understand in the process.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Have you tried just re-saving the file on the Windows machine - maybe with a new name?
And then try opening that on the Mac - maybe it will reset whatever is causing the problem.

I have never used a Mac but I thought the files and library parts were all multi-platform.
Shouldn't it be just a case of copying the PLN and library/s over to the Windows machine and then telling the PLN where to find the libraries?
That shouldn't take very long or is there something I don't understand in the process.

Barry.
I copied the .pln file (that's crashing on my Mac) but when I open it in windows, I get the library report which has a huge list of missing objects. (mainly OBJECTiVE parts). I can locate each library part and re-load them in windows then save as archive plan but I wasn't sure if there was something I could do on my mac when it tries to open the recovered project.

I'm assuming it's not working on my Mac because it's only 32x, whereas windows is 64x and has less ram and a core 2 duo processor, versus my mac with core i7! If I open a different file in ArchiCAD, I will lose the 'recovered' project... but since it's not opening anyway, I may as well try your suggestion.

Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
I opened up ArchiCAD again and decided to delete the project from the reccoverey dialog.

I've opened the project again and it turns out I haven't lost too much work (maybe 30 minutes). I can just copy what work I did on windows, to the file on my mac and everything should be ok...

I just hope these things don't occur again with AR15!
Learn and get certified!