BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved, vertical walls?!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay so attached you'll see the Jubilee building located in Rome, Italy. I'm actually going to do a precedent study on this building and hoping I can learn how to construct it in ArchiCAD. Basically the issue is the walls, which I really don't have any idea of how I should go about constructing them or if its even possible.

I've seen this building built in programs that have been rendered by Artlantis, but I'm thinking it was done in Sketch-up or something.

Anyways, can anyone steer me in the right direct on constructing these walls?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, and for the record. The walls don't have to be PERFECT. I want to use my model for creating a diagrammatic animation. Of coarse the more detailed the better because I want to learn it, but anything close to the buildings structure I would love to know.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pretty easy to do with Custom Profiles - lots of information on this forum if you do a search, or within Archicad's help files.

If the top of the wall slopes along its length use a roof to trim using Solid Element Operation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Pretty easy to do with Custom Profiles - lots of information on this forum if you do a search, or within Archicad's help files.

If the top of the wall slopes along its length use a roof to trim using Solid Element Operation.
I did a search, but its not all that east to find I guess.

No way to do this without using Solid Element Operation?

That tool is needed too much..
Barry Kelly
allegronea wrote:

Try also searching for Complex Profiles and just about any post by Dwight Atkinson.

Try curtain walls for the glass.
Custom/Complex curved walls for the other walls.
Use the Solid Element Operation to trim the wall if it rakes along its length.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
allegronea wrote:
s2art wrote:

Sorry, yes I was a bit vague. Try THIS ARTICLE for starters (which is neither a forum thread OR in the Archicad help files - my bad) but was referenced by Dwight HERE

... and SEO will only be needed if your walls are NOT a constant height along their length.

It would be handy to know your Archicad version too. Add it, and other system info to your signature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Sorry, yes I was a bit vague. Try THIS ARTICLE for starters (which is neither a forum thread OR in the Archicad help files - my bad) but was referenced by Dwight HERE

... and SEO will only be needed if your walls are NOT a constant height along their length.

It would be handy to know your Archicad version too. Add it, and other system info to your signature.
Ah, I see what you mean with SEO.. misunderstood you the first time.. that makes more sense thank you.

I'll look into this more within the next hour and let you know how it goes! Thanks again for the replies.

Anthony
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alright so the complex profiles is great, great tool that I haven't used yet since I've been learning ArchiCAD so THANK YOU I'm excited about it.

Could someone give me some input on what the best way to do the curtain walls would be?

I got the curved walls down, would there be an easy way to somehow fill in those gaps with the curtain wall tool? When fitting something in-between those walls the curves get a little complicated.. any way to do this without using SEO?

Thanks again in advance!!

Anthony
Anonymous
Not applicable
The curtain wall issue is the only other aspect of constructing this building in ArchiCAD I need to know.. I'm only making a diagrammatic model for a quick series of animations and diagrams.. for the record 🙂.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also create one off windows using slabs. Refer to the web page below.

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/customwindows.html

If you have success with the curtain wall I'd be interested how you did it.
Learn and get certified!