BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Electrical Plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im currently working on a project for uni, that requires us to work out an electrical plan.....however ive never done this on Archicad before. So i haven't a clue what process to go through.

I have my plans (ground, level 1 and level 2) done. But im not sure where to go from here

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I had a look for some info in the tutorials etc, but they dont go into this detail.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
I presume you know what you want to show on the electrical plans, so I wont cover this!

Firstly, decide how detailed you want to get. This can range from a simple 'dumb' 2d electrical plan, all the way to a fully intelligent and schedulable plan made from real 3d objects with component specifications, individual circuit loading and power requirements produced automatically from it! See here for an example of that - http://www.archicad.ca/?p=138.

I'd advise starting with a simple 2d electrical plan, and adding complexity later on if/when time allows.

Set up a special layer in ArchiCAD just for electrical items. Duplicate the existing layer combination that is applied to the floorplan views, and update this so that the electrical layer is turned on as well. Confirm that this layer is off in the original floorplan layer combination as you don't want this appearing on the normal plans.

It is worth setting up an electrical penset also. Dedicate a small range of pens specifically to electrical items. Make sure only these are selected in the electrical component objects. Duplicate the standard penset, and adjust the pens used for the electrical items. You can make these a bold colour so they stand out. You can also grey-out the other less important pens to make the plans easier and clearer to read.

Set up a 'key' of the parts you will use. You can either use the standard 2d parts already in the library, build your own from 2d lines and text, or adapt and use the very versatile ArchiGon objects from the link above. I'm don't know whether any of these conform to Australian standards, so there may be some adjusting to do.

Now place the electrical components onto all the plans making sure they are on the electrical layer. Make use of drag-a-copy and the eyedropper tool to copy the correct parts from the key. Join them up with dashed splines using the hotspots to snap to.

When you are happy, create new views of the floorplans, rename them so you can find them later (something like 'First Floor Electrical') and make sure the new electrical layer combination and penset is applied to them.

Place these views on layouts, and you are finished! If you need to adjust things or add further info to the plans, go ahead, and the layouts will update automatically the next time you go to them.

Hope this helps! Let me know if anything isn't clear.

Don't forget to put your ArchiCAD version and OS on your signature, as some advice is specific to the version!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Peter

I'll just be doing the plain old 2d electrical plan for this project.

I think i sorted it out for myself though last night, ive just put all the electrical plan items in the "general electric" layer that is already in the layer options.

It seems to work. I haven't made a view yet though. Hopefully it doesnt change when i make views of the normal plans etc

Thanks for the help
Learn and get certified!