BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Elevate single roof node in 3D window

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Greetings - I am suffering from old timer's disease as I have successfully performed this in the past. I need to elevate only one corner of a roof, and as a result will change the pivot line. The attachment illustrates my question more clearly.

Thanks for the Ginkgo biloba boost!
Scott

Roof Node Adjustment.png
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
I am assuming you don't want to replace the roof with a new one as you have dimensions and perhaps other elements associated to the roof.

If the two "fixed points are the same elevation:
To find the slope angle, in the 3D window draw a new roof setting the pivot line between the two fixed points and then clicking on the post top to define the slope angle.

Then I went back to the original roof, adjusted the pivot line to go between the two fixed points and changed the slope to what was determined in the newly created the new roof. Delete the new roof.

If the two fixed point are not at equal elevations:
do the same steps as above but with a mesh to elevate the points appropriately. Then Design>Design Extras> Create Roofs from Mesh. (Pity this last step can't be done in the 3D window). this gives you two roofs creating the two different slopes. Use them or adjust the existing roof.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see this thread. See Link's method. It might help.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=90216&highlight=two+temperary+temporary+roofs#90...
Peter Devlin
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Thank you Peter & Erika for responding, and congrats E again on your deal!

I now recall the elegant solution devised by Eric Bobrow, described as follows:

There is no way to edit an existing roof node in AC so as to elevate it, thereby changing the roof plane orientation and altering the pivot line as a result. You can however create a new roof with the desired custom plane, but it must be drawn in the 3D window only.

1) Place three temporary reference points in the model that have the desired elevations which will define the new roof plane. I used one inch diameter columns with the top of columns at the desired elevations as the reference points. Any snapable reference points will do however.

2) In the 3D window and with the Roof Tool selected, click on each of the three reference points described above following the commands in the Statusbar. It goes without saying but three points determine a plane.

3) Continuing to follow the commands in the Statusbar, draw the roof polygon. There can be more than three corners however I find it easiest to trace the three points used to define the plane, then edit the new roof in the Plan View window (adding more nodes there if necessary).

4) Delete the temporary reference points (columns in my case).

Hopefully AC15 will provide a 'Z' edit option in the pet pallet similar to that in the mesh tool.....Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Scott,
Could you give us a link to the Eric Bobrow article
and what do you think Eric Bobrow means by the
term "statusbar" ? I looked up the term in AC online help
and found no reference to it.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Hey Peter - There is no article as it was a direct conversation between Eric and myself. I encouraged him to write one but he was swamped at the time. AFA the Statusbar (not well documented), it's the pallet at the lowermost left corner of the default Work Environment. See attached screen shot....Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Scott,
Thanks !!
Peter Devlin
Learn and get certified!