BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling Landscape Architecture

LFBIMMAN
Booster

HI Guys, 

I have been tasked to look in to Archicad's modelling features for Landscape Architecture for use in the company I work for, 

We used to model the landscape using slabs & the mesh tool ect but have had some push back lately that excessive amounts of slabs & big meshes are causing our models to slow down, They also seem to grumble about the railing tools only working on one plane and cant follow the mesh heights properly. 

How are you modelling your landscapes? does anyone use Vectorworks for modelling landscape? is it the better tool for the job? or is there a better alternative elsewhere? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jl_lt
Ace

Havent used Vectorworks, but there are quite a few videos on Youtube about the landscape module, and it looks amazing.  I would suggest downloading the trial version and see for yourself.  

4dProof
Advisor

The mesh tool is the best for modeling terrain in archicad. The threshold for polygons and solid element operations are a major factor in file speed and performance, as you have found out.
I generally try to keep my total mesh polygon count under 100,000. Meshes also tend to rack up a huge number of solid element operations, which also slow the file down (more than polygons, IME). I recommend copying the file, clear all SEO's from the mesh (targets and operators) and see if the file speeds up without reducing polygons. Then only apply the necessary operators/targets to the mesh, and try to avoid dedicated operators wherever possible (elements that only server as an operator): Don't use a dedicated slab to trim the mesh if you already have a slab in the basement/crawlspace. don't trim all of any element type to the mesh; IE don't grab all walls as operators to all meshes.

Here is a little test on SEO performance I did a few years ago:
https://wwabim.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/solid-element-operator-errors/

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
4dProof
Advisor

also, the railing tool can absolutely follow the mesh, it's just not linked to the mesh (like it is with stairs and slabs). But I don't find the railing linking to be particular useful 90% of the time

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Thanks for your response, after a bit of digging I found a method that works for modelling fences at different height etc snapping to a mesh. I actually came across your website a month or so ago & its been really helpful. 👍

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/How-to-Create-a-Railing-with-Evenly-Spaced-Posts-on-a-M...

LFBIMMAN_0-1693994122513.png

Learn and get certified!