Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Offsets

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

is there a way to offset a spline? I know I could retrace the spline, but that would require lots of time. I was hoping for a tool/command that offset in a single click.

thanks
Habi
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Habi

You can offset with a Polyline, but not another spline, using the offset "relative construction method", see image.

With polyline tool active, click on offset button, space-click on spline, define offset direction and distance.
offset spline.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
And then you can magic wand a spline onto the offset polyline.

Don't ask why such a silly workaround is necessary - only GS knows the answer to that one!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks a lot guys, this is great help.

=)
Anonymous
Not applicable
habiatuq wrote:
Hello all,

is there a way to offset a spline? I know I could retrace the spline, but that would require lots of time. I was hoping for a tool/command that offset in a single click.

thanks
Habi
Select the spline, drag it to the proper offset position using the tracker (or type in the offset distance manually), press the Control Key, then press the Enter Key.

If you want to offset multiple items, instead of pressing just Control, press Control and Alt together, then Enter. It will allow you to continue to offsetting as many copies as you wish with ever hit of the enter key.

Just make sure you are either using the tracker or manually typing in your distances to keep things accurate.
Anonymous
Not applicable
goose724 wrote:

Select the spline, drag it to the proper offset position using the tracker (or type in the offset distance manually), press the Control Key, then press the Enter Key.

If you want to offset multiple items, instead of pressing just Control, press Control and Alt together, then Enter. It will allow you to continue to offsetting as many copies as you wish with ever hit of the enter key.

Just make sure you are either using the tracker or manually typing in your distances to keep things accurate.
That's not offset, just a regular copy or do I missed something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It may not be billed as "offset" but it offers the exact same results in a much quicker fashion.

The offset of a line, spline, object, etc. is just that, a copy to a desired distance.

Now, if we are talking about a conected series of lines or walls, that is a different operation. But in what the original poster was inquiring about, offsetting a spline, the copy command works as fast and as accurate as any, and gives the desired result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
goose724 wrote:
It may not be billed as "offset" but it offers the exact same results in a much quicker fashion.

The offset of a line, spline, object, etc. is just that, a copy to a desired distance.
No, an offset is equal to a perpendicular copy of a single line. Not just a copy to a desired distance though a copy could be in whatever direction. So a line in a strange direction and you copy, you need the perpendicular function, and if you need that, I recommend the offset function.